Tense church standoff in Meru: Kindiki addresses crowd as Gachagua and opposition are blocked from entry.
Tense church standoff in Meru: Kindiki addresses crowd as Gachagua and opposition are blocked from entry.
Image generated by AI

Kindiki warns Gachagua after Meru church standoff

Image generated by AI

Deputy President Kithure Kindiki criticized his predecessor Rigathi Gachagua for alleged political incitement during a Meru church event on March 8, 2026. Opposition leaders were blocked from entering the church and vowed legal action against Kindiki. The incident occurred during the induction of Bishop David Mwiti.

On March 8, 2026, a standoff occurred at Kaaga Methodist Church in Meru County, where opposition leaders including former Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua and Kalonzo Musyoka were blocked from attending a church service presided over by Deputy President Kithure Kindiki. The event was the induction of Bishop David Mwiti as Bishop of Kaaga Synod in the Methodist Church in Kenya.

Opposition figures claimed they had been invited by the bishop but were barred by police, including a large GSU deployment and helicopters. Senatorial aspirant Caroline Karimi Muriuki stated, "They have brought over 100 police officers. Even near our hotel. There are police. We want to know why we cannot be allowed in, yet an invitation was extended to us by the bishop."

Lawyer Ndegwa Njiru alleged that Gachagua's personal assistant was abducted by officers. Kalonzo Musyoka said, "This morning, the United opposition was denied the chance to witness the induction of a good Bishop. This is a deliberate act of political repression carried out at the House of God." He vowed to pursue legal action against Kindiki, adding, "The deputy president used the police to bar citizens from worshipping freely. That is not governance. Those are marks of a regime gripped with fear."

Gachagua claimed, "We had been invited by the bishop to Kaaga Methodist to witness his inauguration, but when we got to Meru someone attached to President William Ruto called Kindiki tried to stop us."

After being denied entry, the opposition leaders attended an alternative service at EATC Njotene or East Africa Pentecostal Church, Njotene Parish, Buuri Constituency.

Speaking afterward, Kindiki warned Gachagua against incitement. He said, "Visitors are welcome in Meru, but they must come with discipline… no chaos or trouble. If they cause unrest, we will deal with it seriously. The people of Meru are civilized; we do not tolerate disorder or noise."

Kindiki criticized Gachagua for disrespecting leaders and failing to deliver development. "You, Rigathi, were just a district officer and served one term as an MP. When you were appointed Deputy President, you undermined the government by fighting the President and sabotaging development programs. We will not allow anyone to destroy our country by inciting people," he said.

Kindiki emphasized the government's solid development plan, stating, "The difference between us and those walking around inciting people is like day and night. We have a solid plan… We dare them to present the projects they lobbied for Meru County, the Mt. Kenya region, and Kenya at large when they were in office."

What people are saying

Discussions on X focus on the Meru church standoff at Kaaga Methodist during Bishop Mwiti's induction, where opposition leaders Gachagua, Kalonzo, and Muturi's teams were escorted out by police before DP Kindiki's attendance. Neutral media reports detail the drama and mutual accusations. Pro-Kindiki sentiments praise order and criticize opposition incitement. Pro-Gachagua views accuse Kindiki of police intimidation and paid youth disruptions. Skeptical takes question opposition unity.

Related Articles

Uhuru Kenyatta speaks on unity at Daniel Karaba's funeral, with opposition leaders present.
Image generated by AI

Uhuru Kenyatta calls for unity, vows to stay in Ichaweri away from politics at Daniel Karaba funeral

Reported by AI Image generated by AI

Former President Uhuru Kenyatta attended the April 1, 2026, funeral of Kirinyaga Senator Daniel Karaba, urging national unity beyond tribal lines, honest leadership over politics, and service delivery. He emphasized his return to Ichaweri village to listen to locals with no plans to re-enter politics, amid presence of opposition figures like Rigathi Gachagua, Martha Karua, James Orengo, and Kalonzo Musyoka.

Deputy President Prof Kithure Kindiki has warned the opposition to brace for defeat in the 2027 general elections, stating President William Ruto will serve two terms. He spoke while inspecting the Kagumo–Kiamaina road construction in Kagumo, Kirinyaga County.

Reported by AI

Deputy President Kithure Kindiki visited Kenya's Coast region and faced political rivalry between UDA and ODM figures eyeing his position ahead of future elections. He called on residents to re-elect President William Ruto and announced Pamoja African Alliance's merger with UDA.

A three-judge bench has set March 19, 2026, as the date for a ruling in a petition seeking to remove Deputy President Kithure Kindiki from office. The case was filed in October 2024 by businessman Aura and concerns the process of appointing Kindiki following the impeachment of former Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua. The petition claims that the process did not follow the Constitution.

Reported by AI

Opposition leaders have claimed the government has captured key economic sectors, urging Kenyans to oust the Kenya Kwanza administration in upcoming elections. The statements were made during a multi-denominational church service in Gatanga, Murang’a County.

Wiper leader Kalonzo Musyoka has claimed police attempted to assassinate him during an attack on an opposition convoy heading to Kikuyu. The convoy carried Kalonzo, Rigathi Gachagua and Eugene Wamalwa. Officers fired live rounds, teargas and rubber bullets.

Reported by AI

Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen has directed Inspector General Douglas Kanja to swiftly arrest goons allegedly linked to opposition leaders. He issued the order at the burial of Mitchelle Jelimo Kemboi in Nakuru County. Murkomen accused the opposition of hiring thugs to disrupt public events and undermine order.

 

 

 

This website uses cookies

We use cookies for analytics to improve our site. Read our privacy policy for more information.
Decline