Return to Cheong Wa Dae triggers defense headquarters relocations

The presidential office's plan to return to Cheong Wa Dae by month's end is sparking relocations for the Ministry of National Defense and Joint Chiefs of Staff. The move would restore their pre-2022 setup, promising better efficiency. Budget hurdles and an unconfirmed timeline pose challenges.

The presidential office's return to Cheong Wa Dae is underway, prompting relocations for the Ministry of National Defense and Joint Chiefs of Staff. If the schedule proceeds, the two entities will revert to buildings they occupied before the 2022 shift to Yongsan, restoring a layout from three years and seven months ago. The exact timetable remains unconfirmed.

The ministry plans to reclaim its 10-story Yongsan building, now used by the presidential office, which served as its headquarters from 2003 until the Yoon Suk Yeol administration's early relocation there. Since then, it has operated from the adjacent JCS building, with both sharing the space for over three years. Several units and direct-reporting commands dispersed to nearby sites due to space constraints, leading to less smooth communication.

Officials state that reverting to the original setup would enhance operational efficiency for both. JCS personnel note that their former headquarters already includes essential infrastructure like secure networks and mission-support systems. While relocation raises security gap concerns, the JCS assures basic contingency measures are ready, allowing network restoration without major disruptions.

Budget remains a primary obstacle. The ministry requested 23.86 billion won ($16.2 million) for next year, covering network upgrades, facility repairs, and moving expenses: 13.3 billion for IT systems, 6.56 billion for repairs, and 4 billion for services. The National Assembly's defense committee initially approved it, but later deliberations cut the entire amount. If moving forward, reserve funds or alternative sources may be tapped.

The Cheong Wa Dae return costs are also scrutinized. Government documents allocate 25.9 billion won, versus 37.8 billion spent on the 2022 Yongsan move. Including indirect expenses, analysts estimate total spending over three years exceeds 130 billion won. A ministry official said the shift is under review with no final date set. A JCS official added they will plan only after the ministry's schedule is formalized.

Related Articles

South Korean Prime Minister Kim Min-seok announces emergency economic teams at Cheong Wa Dae amid Middle East crisis.
Image generated by AI

Cheong Wa Dae, PM's office to launch emergency economic teams for Middle East crisis

Reported by AI Image generated by AI

Prime Minister Kim Min-seok announced on March 25 that two emergency economic teams will launch at Cheong Wa Dae and his office to address the Middle East crisis. The move responds to the widening impact of the ongoing war involving the United States, Israel and Iran. He stressed the need to bolster the government's preemptive response for prolonged scenarios, including worst-case ones.

In response to the US Supreme Court's ruling striking down President Donald Trump's reciprocal tariffs, Cheong Wa Dae will hold a policy coordination meeting with the ruling party and government officials. The meeting, led by presidential chief of staff for policy Kim Yong-beom and National Security Adviser Wi Sung-lac, will include key ministers and the Democratic Party floor leader. The Trump administration imposed a 10 percent global tariff hours after the ruling and raised it to 15 percent the next day.

Reported by AI

President Lee Jae-myung has put his private home up for sale at a below-market price to help stabilize the property market, Cheong Wa Dae said on February 27. The apartment in Seongnam, south of Seoul, is jointly owned with first lady Kim Hae-kyung and measures 164 square meters, purchased in 1998 for 360 million won. The move aligns with the government's push for multiple-home owners to sell ahead of the end of a temporary capital gains tax suspension in May.

Seven of the 37 general-level officers punished for alleged involvement in former President Yoon Suk Yeol's failed 2024 martial law bid have filed lawsuits against South Korea's Defense Ministry to overturn their disciplinary actions, ranging from expulsion to duty suspensions. The litigants include former Defense Intelligence Commander Moon Sang-ho and former Drone Operations Commander Kim Yong-dae. A ministry document submitted to Rep. Choo Mi-ae of the ruling Democratic Party revealed the suits, while another 29 generals have appealed but not yet sued.

Reported by AI

President Lee Jae-myung met with six U.S. lawmakers from the Congressional Study Group on Korea in Seoul on April 2 and reaffirmed his commitment to regaining wartime operational control from Washington. He stated that along with increasing defense spending, South Korea aims to reduce the U.S. burden and safeguard peace on the Korean Peninsula with its own capabilities. The remarks follow criticism from former President Donald Trump.

This website uses cookies

We use cookies for analytics to improve our site. Read our privacy policy for more information.
Decline