Crime scene illustration at Rob Reiner's Brentwood home, LAPD secures area after parents' stabbing deaths, son Nick booked on murder suspicion.
Crime scene illustration at Rob Reiner's Brentwood home, LAPD secures area after parents' stabbing deaths, son Nick booked on murder suspicion.
Image generated by AI

Rob Reiner Killing: Son Nick Booked on Suspicion of Murder as Case Moves to L.A. County DA

Image generated by AI
Fact checked

Los Angeles police have booked Nick Reiner, son of director Rob Reiner and producer Michele Singer Reiner, on suspicion of murder in the stabbing deaths of his parents at their Brentwood home, with the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office reviewing the case.

Authorities are advancing their investigation into the December 14 killings of filmmaker Rob Reiner and his wife, producer and photographer Michele Singer Reiner, after the couple were found with apparent stab wounds inside their Brentwood, Los Angeles, home.

According to Los Angeles police and local media reports, firefighters responded to a medical aid call at the residence in the afternoon, where a man and a woman were discovered dead. Investigators later said the case had developed into a homicide investigation, with both victims believed to have been fatally stabbed. Police have not publicly reported any signs of forced entry at the home.

LAPD Chief Jim McDonnell said that Robbery-Homicide Division detectives took 32-year-old Nick Reiner into custody on suspicion of murdering his parents. He was subsequently booked for murder and is being held on $4 million bail, McDonnell told reporters. The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office has said it is reviewing the evidence to determine appropriate charges.

Nick Reiner has spoken openly about long-running struggles with addiction. In a 2016 interview with People magazine, he said he first entered rehab for drug abuse at age 15 and by that point had been through at least 17 treatment programs. Those experiences helped inspire the 2015 film "Being Charlie," which he co-wrote with his father.

Multiple outlets, citing witnesses, have reported that Rob and Nick Reiner attended a holiday party hosted by Conan O’Brien the night before the killings and that a heated verbal argument between father and son took place there. Authorities have not commented publicly on that reported dispute, and no official motive has been released.

The deaths of Rob Reiner, 78, a director and actor known for works including "Stand By Me," "The Princess Bride" and "When Harry Met Sally...," and Michele Singer Reiner, 68, a producer, photographer and LGBTQ rights advocate, have prompted an outpouring of condolences from across Hollywood and political circles. The investigation remains active, and prosecutors have emphasized that Nick Reiner is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty in court.

What people are saying

X users express shock and condolences over the stabbing deaths of Rob Reiner and wife Michele allegedly by son Nick, who faces first-degree murder charges amid his history of addiction; reactions range from sympathy for the family and tragedy of addiction, to speculation on abuse motives, skepticism about evidence, and ironic comments from Trump supporters linking to Reiner's anti-Trump rhetoric.

Related Articles

Courtroom illustration of Nick Reiner pleading not guilty in the stabbing deaths of his parents, Rob and Michele Reiner.
Image generated by AI

Nick Reiner pleads not guilty in parents' murder case

Reported by AI Image generated by AI

Nick Reiner entered a not guilty plea in court on February 23, 2026, for the stabbing deaths of his parents, Rob and Michele Reiner. The autopsies of the iconic director and his wife remain incomplete more than two months after the December 2025 killings in their Brentwood home. Siblings Romy and Jake are stepping back from funding his defense.

Conan O'Brien has opened up about the devastating murders of his friends Rob and Michele Reiner, who were killed just hours after attending his holiday party. Their son Nick faces charges for the crime, leaving Hollywood reeling. In a new interview, Conan reflects on the tragedy and the director's legacy.

Reported by AI

Jerry O'Connell, who got his big break from Rob Reiner in 'Stand By Me,' is reeling from the director's tragic death and his son Nick's murder charges. The actor shared how emotional the upcoming trial feels for him personally. Meanwhile, Nick's siblings are stepping back from his legal defense.

This website uses cookies

We use cookies for analytics to improve our site. Read our privacy policy for more information.
Decline