Distressed Afrikaner refugee families at an airport after flight cancellations for US resettlement.
Distressed Afrikaner refugee families at an airport after flight cancellations for US resettlement.
Image generated by AI

Approved Afrikaner refugee cases face last-minute travel cancellations, Daily Wire reports

Image generated by AI
Fact checked

Several Afrikaners who say they were approved for U.S. refugee resettlement report that their airline tickets were canceled days before departure, leaving families in limbo and forcing some to repeat time-limited medical screening requirements.

Several Afrikaners in South Africa who were approved to resettle in the United States as refugees have had travel plans disrupted at the last minute, according to interviews published by The Daily Wire.

The outlet reported that multiple applicants received one-way airline tickets and then were notified shortly before departure that the trips were canceled and their cases returned to an “in progress” status. The Daily Wire said the cancellations were communicated through Church World Service (CWS), which operates Resettlement Support Center Africa (RSC Africa), a U.S.-funded processing hub that helps prepare U.S.-bound refugees from sub-Saharan Africa.

The situation has added pressure for families who had already quit jobs, sold vehicles, or given up housing in preparation to depart, The Daily Wire reported. The outlet also said some applicants’ required medical examinations expired after delays, requiring repeat testing and vaccinations.

The delays come amid broader policy changes to the U.S. refugee program. On February 7, 2025, President Donald Trump signed Executive Order 14204, which directed federal agencies to prioritize refugee admission and resettlement for Afrikaners in South Africa described in the order as “victims of unjust racial discrimination.”

Later, the administration set a refugee admissions ceiling of 7,500 for fiscal year 2026—down from a 125,000 ceiling previously set for the prior year. A presidential determination published in the Federal Register said admissions would be primarily allocated to Afrikaners from South Africa under the February 2025 executive order, as well as other victims of discrimination.

CWS did not respond to The Daily Wire’s request for comment, the outlet reported. A State Department spokesperson told The Daily Wire that the administration was prioritizing the resettlement of Afrikaners “escaping government-sponsored race-based discrimination,” while declining to discuss individual cases.

Separately, CWS has been involved in litigation challenging aspects of the administration’s refugee policy, including what opponents describe as a discriminatory preference for white South Africans, according to The Daily Wire. Broader debates over the underlying claims of persecution have continued, with fact-checking organizations and South African officials disputing narratives of a widespread, government-driven campaign targeting white South Africans.

What people are saying

Posts highlight last-minute cancellations by Church World Service for approved Afrikaner refugees, leaving families stranded after selling possessions; reactions criticize the nonprofit for hypocrisy amid its lawsuit against Trump policies, with some users noting systemic delays and others expressing frustration over the limbo.

Related Articles

Illustration of a Burkinabe man being deported by ICE agents at an airport.
Image generated by AI

ICE deports Burkinabè man tied to 2015 coup attempt after U.S. immigration ruling

Reported by AI Image generated by AI Fact checked

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement said it removed Zakaria Songotoua, a 40-year-old former member of Burkina Faso’s dissolved presidential guard accused of participating in the country’s 2015 coup attempt, on April 22. The deportation followed an immigration judge’s order finding him ineligible for immigration status, according to The Daily Wire.

The administration of US President Donald Trump is weighing an increase in the annual refugee limit to admit more white South Africans, according to officials and sources familiar with the discussions. This would more than double the current cap of 7,500. The move prioritizes Afrikaners amid claims of persecution, which South Africa's government denies.

Reported by AI

Eighteen refugees living in Kenyan camps have had long-promised jobs in Canada withdrawn after years of preparation. The cancellations leave the group facing renewed uncertainty in Kakuma and Dadaab.

Readmissions of irregular Algerian nationals have quietly resumed between Paris and Algiers after months of blockage. French Interior Minister Laurent Nuñez's recent visit is credited with this thaw. Algeria, however, maintains pressure by opening several diplomatic fronts.

Reported by AI

Due to the war between the USA, Israel, and Iran, tens of thousands of travelers are stranded in the Middle East. The German government is organizing return flights, but affected individuals may have to contribute to the costs. Travel operators like Tui and Dertour promise to cover these costs if their customers use the flights.

This website uses cookies

We use cookies for analytics to improve our site. Read our privacy policy for more information.
Decline