Archbishop socrates villegas condemns senate moves on duterte impeachment

Archbishop Socrates Villegas has criticized recent Senate actions, saying they aim to delay the impeachment trial of Vice President Sara Duterte and shield Senator Ronald dela Rosa.

Archbishop Socrates Villegas, a leader of the 1986 Edsa People Power Revolution, issued a pastoral letter on Thursday condemning developments in the Senate. The 66-year-old prelate, former head of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines, described the moves as a brazen exercise of power meant to derail the impeachment trial of Vice President Sara Duterte.

Villegas said the sudden change in Senate leadership was intended to protect Senator Ronald dela Rosa. He noted that dela Rosa faces a valid arrest warrant linked to the deaths of more than 6,000 suspected drug pushers during the term of former President Rodrigo Duterte. “It is obscene. It is unbelievable that men and women called ‘honorable’ could do such a brazen exercise of power,” Villegas stated.

Last Monday, Senator Alan Peter Cayetano was elected Senate president with 13 votes, unseating Vicente Sotto III. Supporters of dela Rosa later clashed with police outside the Senate building. Villegas called on the public to reject corrupt officials in future elections and apply constant moral pressure for reform without violence.

The CBCP Episcopal Commission for Interreligious Dialogue urged calm and prayer. Bishop Colin Bagaforo said leaders must rise above partisan interests and allow truth and justice to prevail.

Related Articles

Illustration of the Senate hall during Sara Duterte impeachment trial with senators and the Vice President.
Image generated by AI

Senate set to convene for Sara Duterte impeachment trial

Reported by AI Image generated by AI

The Senate is set to convene as an impeachment court at 3 p.m. today for the trial of Vice President Sara Duterte.

The Philippine Senate will convene as an impeachment court on Monday to begin proceedings against Vice President Sara Duterte. Senate President Alan Peter Cayetano confirmed the session in a letter to colleagues. The move follows the House vote approving articles of impeachment.

Reported by AI

Lawmakers hit back at a Supreme Court petition by Vice President Sara Duterte's allies seeking to block her ongoing impeachment proceedings in the House of Representatives. The move comes after the House justice committee advanced two complaints to hearings.

Vice President Sara Duterte stated that the result of her impeachment case is in God’s hands as the House of Representatives prepares for a plenary vote on May 11.

Reported by AI

The House committee on justice will reconvene Monday to formally adopt its report finding probable cause to impeach Vice President Sara Duterte, following last week's vote. This clears the path for sending the Articles of Impeachment to the House plenary, needing at least 106 votes to proceed to the Senate.

The House justice committee unanimously voted on April 29 to find probable cause to impeach Vice President Sara Duterte based on two complaints. The complaints will be consolidated before transmission to the House plenary. If approved, Duterte would become the first Philippine official impeached twice.

Reported by AI

The House of Representatives will continue impeachment proceedings against Vice President Sara Duterte next month despite a Supreme Court petition filed by her supporters. Lawmakers stated the justice committee will follow the 1987 Constitution and House rules. Clarificatory hearings are underway to determine probable cause.

 

 

 

This website uses cookies

We use cookies for analytics to improve our site. Read our privacy policy for more information.
Decline