Iga Swiatek questions penalties after Dubai withdrawals

Iga Swiatek defended players' rights to withdraw from tournaments during a press conference ahead of the French Open. Her comments follow controversy sparked by withdrawals from the Dubai Championships.

Iga Swiatek addressed remarks by Dubai tournament director Salah Tahlak, who suggested harsher penalties including ranking-point deductions for late withdrawals. Swiatek said she found the idea absurd and stressed that players have the right to decide whether to compete. She noted that receiving zero points already serves as a penalty for withdrawals. The issue arose after Swiatek and Aryna Sabalenka both pulled out of the Dubai event shortly before it began. Sabalenka cited a minor hip injury and concerns over burnout, while Swiatek pointed to a schedule change following her loss in the Qatar final. Tahlak described the withdrawals as an unfortunate surprise and called for stricter measures. Sabalenka had previously labeled the director's comments ridiculous and hinted at a possible boycott of the event. Swiatek also discussed a media protest at Roland Garros, emphasizing respect for journalists while calling for better support for all players. She is scheduled to face Emerson Jones of Australia in the first round on Monday.

Related Articles

Elina Svitolina hits winning forehand to defeat Iga Swiatek in Indian Wells quarterfinals, stadium crowd cheers.
Image generated by AI

Svitolina upsets Swiatek in Indian Wells quarters amid Tennis Channel broadcast backlash

Reported by AI Image generated by AI

Elina Svitolina defeated world No. 2 Iga Swiatek 6-2, 4-6, 6-4 in the BNP Paribas Open quarterfinals on March 13, advancing to the semifinals against Elena Rybakina. The Ukrainian's tactical play secured her second career win over Swiatek, extending her tour-leading 19 victories and perfect 6-0 record in three-set matches this season. However, Tennis Channel's coverage, which prioritized men's match discussions, drew widespread fan criticism.

World No. 1 Aryna Sabalenka criticized Dubai Tennis Championships director Salah Tahlak for his comments on her and Iga Swiatek's withdrawals, hinting she may skip the event in future. She described his remarks as excessive during a press conference in Miami. The exchange highlights tensions over the WTA schedule and player welfare.

Reported by AI

Iga Świątek displayed visible frustration during a practice session in Miami ahead of the Miami Open, following her quarterfinal loss at Indian Wells. She trained with coach Wim Fissette and appeared to argue with her team. Despite this, she told officials she felt great in practice but noted adjustments needed for matches.

Top players including Aryna Sabalenka have signaled growing frustration with Grand Slam tournaments over prize money and governance. Speaking at the Italian Open, Sabalenka stated that a boycott could occur at some point. The comments come just over two weeks before the French Open amid recent prize adjustments that players have largely dismissed.

Reported by AI

Iga Swiatek delivered a dominant performance, defeating Karolina Muchova 6-2, 6-0 in the fourth round of the BNP Paribas Open. The world No. 2 broke her opponent five times without facing a break point, securing her place in the quarterfinals in just 77 minutes. Swiatek now prepares to face Elina Svitolina next.

Following her hiring of Francisco Roig and training sessions at the Rafa Nadal Academy, world No. 1 Iga Swiatek has drawn nervous reactions from American rivals Jessica Pegula and Madison Keys ahead of the clay season. They joked that the partnership with clay king Nadal should be 'illegal'.

This website uses cookies

We use cookies for analytics to improve our site. Read our privacy policy for more information.
Decline