Marcos mandates use of Philippine names for 131 West Philippine Sea features

President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. has issued Executive Order No. 111, directing government agencies to use official Philippine names for 131 maritime features in the Kalayaan Island Group in the West Philippine Sea. Signed on March 26 and made public on March 31, the order seeks to standardize names for efficient administration and sovereignty exercise.

President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. signed Executive Order No. 111 on March 26, which was made public only on March 31. The order directs all executive branch agencies, including government-owned or -controlled corporations, to use official Philippine names for 131 features in the Kalayaan Island Group, part of Kalayaan municipality in Palawan province.

The National Mapping and Resource Information Authority (NAMRIA) is tasked to produce and publish updated charts and maps using these names, also reflecting Philippine maritime zones as per the Philippine Maritime Zones Act. It cites Executive Order No. 57 from the National Maritime Council, stating that standard Philippine names are imperative for efficient administration, governance of the area, and exercise of the country’s sovereignty in the West Philippine Sea.

Education agencies, including the Department of Education, Commission on Higher Education, and Technical Education and Skills Development Authority, as well as state universities and colleges, must incorporate the updated maps in teaching, research, textbooks, and instructional materials.

The Philippines occupies nine of the 131 features, while China holds eight, including Panganiban (Mischief) Reef. Philippine Navy spokesman Rear Admiral Roy Vincent Trinidad noted that 90 Chinese naval and coast guard vessels were monitored in the West Philippine Sea last month, with the Armed Forces committing to document intrusions and maintain a professional presence to protect national patrimony.

Related Articles

President Marcos signs executive order declaring national energy emergency amid global oil crisis from Middle East war.
Image generated by AI

Marcos declares state of national energy emergency

Reported by AI Image generated by AI

President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. declared a 'state of national energy emergency' on Tuesday, March 24, due to the impact of the US-Israel war against Iran on the Philippines' oil supply. Through Executive Order No. 110, he also adopted UPLIFT to mitigate effects on the economy and citizens. It remains in place for one year unless altered by Marcos.

China has strongly protested the Philippines' decision to assign local names to more than 100 maritime features in the Kalayaan Island Group, calling it illegal. Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Mao Ning said Beijing firmly opposes the move and will take necessary steps to defend its claims. The reaction follows an executive order signed by President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.

Reported by AI

Former Supreme Court Associate Justice Antonio Carpio said international naval drills in the West Philippine Sea recognize the Philippines' claims under the 2016 arbitral ruling. He shared this in an ANC interview on April 1, even as China rejects the decision. Carpio pointed out that this falls short of full enforcement due to the Philippines' lack of political will.

The Philippine Coast Guard dismissed China’s claim that its monitoring activities are publicity stunts. Officials reported sending an aircraft to confront a Chinese research vessel conducting unauthorized surveys near Pag-asa Island on May 16.

Reported by AI

A group of retired Philippine foreign service officers has proposed a comprehensive policy for West Philippine Sea issues, emphasizing diplomacy and neutrality. They advocate an independent foreign policy leading to neutrality to avoid direct conflicts between world powers. Meanwhile, China urged the Philippines to show sincerity and stop provocations.

The Philippine Coast Guard has distanced itself from a supposed maritime cooperation deal with China, including joint patrols in the West Philippine Sea, as announced by the Chinese ambassador. Rear Admiral Jay Tarriela said the PCG is not involved in crafting such plans. Tensions persist following incidents involving Chinese forces.

Reported by AI

At the close of the 48th Asean Leaders’ Meeting in Cebu, the regional bloc renewed its push for an immediate conclusion to negotiations on a legally binding Code of Conduct in the South China Sea to manage disputes.

 

 

 

This website uses cookies

We use cookies for analytics to improve our site. Read our privacy policy for more information.
Decline