Two bid-rigging syndicates potentially linked to Tai Po fire estate

Hong Kong's Competition Commission has not ruled out links between at least two bid-rigging syndicates and renovations at Wang Fuk Court, the Tai Po estate destroyed in a fire. Executive director for legal services Lester Lee Hiu-leung told a judge-led committee on Thursday that law enforcement agencies will probe potential fraud in residents' selection of the HK$336 million Prestige proposal, the priciest among 57 bids.

On Thursday, Lester Lee Hiu-leung, the Competition Commission’s executive director for legal services, told a judge-led committee investigating the Wang Fuk Court fire that the watchdog has not ruled out links between at least two bid-rigging syndicates and the renovation project at the Tai Po estate. Will Power Architects Company served as consultant and Prestige Construction and Engineering as contractor for the works, with residents selecting Prestige's HK$336 million proposal—the most expensive among 57 options—prior to the blaze. Lee said law enforcement agencies would investigate whether anyone committed fraud by inducing residents to choose that bid. The commission has also not ruled out seeking damages from Will Power and Prestige via the Competition Tribunal. He noted that while the Wang Fuk Court project was included in a formal complaint filed to the tribunal on Wednesday—involving eight companies and 12 individuals across 11 housing estates and buildings—Will Power and Prestige were not named in it. “We hope the public will be patient with us,” Lee told the hearing.

Related Articles

Hong Kong residents navigate fire-damaged ruins of Wang Fuk Court to retrieve cherished family items before farewell.
Image generated by AI

Wang Fuk Court residents climb ruins to retrieve family treasures, bid farewell

Reported by AI Image generated by AI

Residents of Hong Kong's Wang Fuk Court have returned to the fire-ravaged ruins in recent days, climbing stairs to retrieve jewellery, cash, photo albums and keepsakes before bidding farewell to their homes. The fire services chief acknowledged at a hearing that departments need better communication while insisting on clear divisions of responsibility. The blaze killed 168 people.

On the second day of evidential hearings into Hong Kong's deadliest fire at Wang Fuk Court, Tai Po, senior counsel Victor Dawes revealed how residents were misled into selecting a convicted contractor amid widespread bid-rigging and corruption in construction tenders.

Reported by AI

In the latest session of Hong Kong's inquiry into the deadly Wang Fuk Court fire—which killed 168 and displaced nearly 5,000—Urban Renewal Authority officials admitted their tendering system cannot prevent market manipulation or bid-rigging in estate renovations, citing limited resources and a policy of non-interference in homeowners' choices.

An independent committee probing last year’s Wang Fuk Court fire in Tai Po heard that Hong Kong’s Fire Services Department declined to issue an emergency alert due to fears of confusion and the system’s one-hour activation time. The blaze killed 168 people, Hong Kong’s deadliest since 1948. Officers testified on responsibilities and response failures.

Reported by AI

Residents of Hong Kong's Wang Fuk Court returned on Saturday to their fire-ravaged flats to retrieve belongings one last time, amid tearful scenes. Ian Chu cherished the chance to capture a final photo of Tolo Harbour from his flat. The blaze killed 168 people, including 81 in Wang Cheong House.

This website uses cookies

We use cookies for analytics to improve our site. Read our privacy policy for more information.
Decline