Father and young son walk free hand-in-hand after federal judge orders their release from ICE detention facility in Texas.
Father and young son walk free hand-in-hand after federal judge orders their release from ICE detention facility in Texas.
Billede genereret af AI

Federal judge orders release of Minnesota father and 5-year-old son after ICE detention in Texas

Billede genereret af AI
Faktatjekket

U.S. District Judge Fred Biery, appointed by President Bill Clinton, ordered the release of Adrian Conejo Arias and his 5-year-old son, Liam Conejo Ramos, after the pair were detained by Immigration and Customs Enforcement in Minnesota and transferred to a family detention facility in Texas.

U.S. District Judge Fred Biery on Saturday, Jan. 31, 2026, ordered immigration authorities to release Adrian Conejo Arias and his 5-year-old son, Liam Conejo Ramos, after their detention by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) in Minnesota and subsequent transfer to a family detention facility in Dilley, Texas.

In his written order, Biery—who sits in San Antonio and was appointed by President Bill Clinton—sharply criticized the government’s enforcement approach and said the case stemmed from “the ill-conceived and incompetently-implemented government pursuit of daily deportation quotas, apparently even if it requires traumatizing children.” The judge also wrote that the government showed an “ignorance of an American historical document called the Declaration of Independence.”

The case drew wide attention after images circulated of Liam wearing a blue bunny hat and carrying a Spider-Man backpack while surrounded by federal officers during the Jan. 20, 2026, arrest outside the family’s home in a Minneapolis-area suburb.

Supporters, including local residents and school officials, argued that the child was used to try to draw Liam’s mother to the door—an accusation the Department of Homeland Security has rejected. DHS has said ICE did not target the boy, and that during the encounter Conejo Arias ran from officers and left Liam behind in a vehicle; DHS spokesperson Tricia McLaughlin said the father then asked that Liam remain with him, after the child’s mother declined to take custody.

Biery’s order included a photo of Liam and cited Bible verses, including a passage attributed to Jesus about letting children come to him. Court records and previous reporting indicate Biery had earlier issued an order preventing the pair’s removal from the United States, at least temporarily.

Two Texas Democrats—Reps. Joaquin Castro and Jasmine Crockett—visited the pair in detention, and Castro later escorted them back to Minnesota. Rep. Ilhan Omar publicly welcomed the family’s return in a Feb. 1, 2026, social media post praising Castro for accompanying them home.

The ruling comes amid heightened debate over immigration enforcement tactics, particularly when children are caught up in arrests, and as the legal status of the father’s immigration case remains unresolved.

Hvad folk siger

Discussions on X about Judge Fred Biery's order to release Adrian Conejo Arias and his 5-year-old son Liam from ICE detention are sharply divided. Conservative users and officials defend ICE, claiming the father fled arrest and abandoned the child, while criticizing the judge as an activist warranting impeachment. Progressive voices praise the ruling as compassionate and Christlike, accusing ICE of traumatizing the child by using him as 'bait' during the operation.

Relaterede artikler

Illustration depicting ICE agents confronting a suspect who allegedly struck an officer with his vehicle during a stop in Patterson, California.
Billede genereret af AI

FBI arrests California man shot by ICE; prosecutors charge him with assaulting a federal officer with his vehicle

Rapporteret af AI Billede genereret af AI Faktatjekket

Federal prosecutors say Carlos Ivan Mendoza Hernandez, 36, was arrested and charged after an April 7 Immigration and Customs Enforcement stop in Patterson, California, during which authorities allege he struck an agent with his car. Mendoza Hernandez was shot multiple times during the encounter and later appeared in federal court in Sacramento on the assault charge, according to court filings and reporting by the Associated Press and other outlets.

A federal judge in Minnesota has held the Trump administration in contempt for violating a court order by transferring a Mexican detainee out of state before his release. The ruling requires reimbursement for the man's return airfare after Immigration and Customs Enforcement released him in Texas, far from his home. The decision highlights ongoing legal challenges to immigration enforcement practices.

Rapporteret af AI

Federal immigration agents arrested Luis Meza-Olivera on March 14 following a Nashville school official's report of a young girl's fear that her father would kill her mother. The Peruvian national, recently released from prison, faces removal proceedings due to prior violent convictions. Acting Assistant Secretary Lauren Bis praised the tip that led to his detention.

A federal judge in Florida appointed by President Donald Trump has shifted his stance on the detention of immigrants, now following a recent appeals court ruling that grants bond hearings in certain cases.

Rapporteret af AI Faktatjekket

Authorities in Spartanburg County, South Carolina, have charged Eri Perez with two counts of felony DUI resulting in death after a crash that killed two boys riding bicycles. A judge denied bond, and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement has lodged a detainer seeking custody of Perez, whom the Department of Homeland Security described as a “gotaway.”

Dette websted bruger cookies

Vi bruger cookies til analyse for at forbedre vores side. Læs vores privatlivspolitik for mere information.
Afvis