Female general becomes first deputy commanding general for Korea at Korea-US combined division

Army Brig. Gen. Moon Han-ok has taken office as the Korean deputy commanding general at the Korea-U.S. Combined Division, becoming the first female South Korean general to hold the post. She assumed the role in early January following her promotion to one-star general in last month's military reshuffle. Moon is widely regarded as an expert in combined defense and operations.

Army Brig. Gen. Moon Han-ok, commissioned as a second lieutenant in 1997, has built a career in the military. As a lieutenant colonel, she contributed to efforts at a new combined defense group under the Joint Chiefs of Staff to regain wartime operational control (OPCON) from Washington as part of Seoul's initiative.

Military officials note that Moon is recognized as an expert in combined defense and operations. In her statement, she said: "At a critical juncture of Seoul's efforts to retake wartime operational control (OPCON) from Washington, I would like to contribute to improving operational interoperability between the allies."

South Korea aims to regain OPCON from the U.S. within President Lee Jae Myung's five-year term ending in 2030 to build a self-reliant national defense. The allies have agreed to pursue certification of "full operational capability" this year, the second phase of a three-phase program to assess Seoul's ability to lead combined forces.

This appointment marks progress in gender equality within the South Korean military and symbolizes strengthened Korea-U.S. alliance ties. Moon's role is expected to bolster Korean leadership in the OPCON transition process.

Related Articles

South Korean and US diplomats shaking hands with flags in background.
Image generated by AI

South Korea, US agree to cooperate on key alliance issues for mutual security interest

Reported by AI Image generated by AI

South Korea and the United States have agreed to strengthen cooperation in areas of mutual security interest, including the transfer of wartime operational control and alliance modernization.

U.S. Forces Korea Commander Gen. Xavier Brunson said Wednesday that a roadmap has been delivered to the Pentagon to meet wartime operational control (OPCON) transfer conditions no later than the second quarter of fiscal year 2029. This targets January to March 2029 as the allies pursue a conditions-based transition. Brunson stressed the need to satisfy all conditions.

Reported by AI

President Lee Jae-myung said on Friday that South Korea will swiftly retake wartime operational control from the United States and accelerate military reforms including selective conscription. Speaking at a meeting with top military leaders in Seoul, he urged forces to heighten readiness amid a 'grave' security situation involving a prolonged Middle East war and North Korea's border fortifications in the DMZ. He stressed self-reliant defense while maintaining the Korea-U.S. alliance.

Gen. Christopher LaNeve, whose recent command of the U.S. Eighth Army in South Korea underscores his alliance expertise, has been confirmed as acting U.S. Army chief of staff following Gen. Randy George's abrupt retirement ordered by War Secretary Pete Hegseth. The April 4 Pentagon confirmation highlights expectations for strengthened Seoul-Washington ties against North Korean threats.

Reported by AI

In the ongoing controversy over Unification Minister Chung Dong-young's mention of North Korea's Kusong uranium site—allegedly a US intelligence leak—US Forces Korea commander Gen. Xavier Brunson has reportedly protested to South Korea's defense minister, an opposition lawmaker said. Seoul denies the protest amid partial US restrictions on satellite intel sharing.

Under Secretary of State Allison Hooker will visit Seoul in the coming weeks to launch bilateral working groups implementing agreements from the October 2025 summit between Presidents Lee Jae Myung and Donald Trump, building on earlier follow-up talks.

Reported by AI

North Korea's Ninth Congress of the Workers' Party concluded after a week, reelecting Kim Jong-un as general secretary. Kim indicated openness to improving ties with the United States if its hostile policy ends, but rejected dialogue with South Korea. International responses varied amid the leadership consolidation.

This website uses cookies

We use cookies for analytics to improve our site. Read our privacy policy for more information.
Decline