ICE detains Peruvian national after Tennessee child's school tip

Federal immigration agents arrested Luis Meza-Olivera on March 14 following a Nashville school official's report of a young girl's fear that her father would kill her mother. The Peruvian national, recently released from prison, faces removal proceedings due to prior violent convictions. Acting Assistant Secretary Lauren Bis praised the tip that led to his detention.

A young girl in Nashville recently told school officials she feared her father, Luis Meza-Olivera, would harm her mother. The school promptly alerted Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), prompting federal agents to arrest Meza-Olivera on March 14, according to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). He had just been released from Trousdale Turner Correctional Center in Hartsville, Tennessee, after serving part of a 12-year sentence for violent crimes handed down in 2017: two counts of aggravated assault and three counts of aggravated kidnapping. DHS records show Meza-Olivera entered the US on a B-2 tourist visa in 2002 and gained lawful permanent resident status in 2010, but his convictions now make him subject to deportation. Other offenses include a DUI in California, plus charges of attempted first-degree murder, vandalism, and child cruelty. Court documents detail a December 27, 2015, incident in Washington County where deputies found a woman 'hogtied' in her bedroom with a rope around her neck. Her five-year-old son, J.S., had called 911 after being locked in a closet; the woman had no memory of the events. Meza-Olivera was arrested days later in Memphis and identified by the victim. Records also describe an episode where the victim was trapped in a bathroom as a fire burned outside, with firefighters discovering a burning rug and an axe head wedged under the door. A Tennessee Court of Appeals upheld his conviction. 'Luis Meza-Olivera is a monster whose daughter feared he would kill her mother. This criminal alien from Peru should NOT be loose on American streets,' Acting Assistant Secretary Lauren Bis said. She credited the school official's tip and urged others to report similar concerns to ICE.

Liittyvät artikkelit

Illustration depicting ICE agents confronting a suspect who allegedly struck an officer with his vehicle during a stop in Patterson, California.
AI:n luoma kuva

FBI arrests California man shot by ICE; prosecutors charge him with assaulting a federal officer with his vehicle

Raportoinut AI AI:n luoma kuva Faktatarkistettu

Federal prosecutors say Carlos Ivan Mendoza Hernandez, 36, was arrested and charged after an April 7 Immigration and Customs Enforcement stop in Patterson, California, during which authorities allege he struck an agent with his car. Mendoza Hernandez was shot multiple times during the encounter and later appeared in federal court in Sacramento on the assault charge, according to court filings and reporting by the Associated Press and other outlets.

Authorities in Spartanburg County, South Carolina, have charged Eri Perez with two counts of felony DUI resulting in death after a crash that killed two boys riding bicycles. A judge denied bond, and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement has lodged a detainer seeking custody of Perez, whom the Department of Homeland Security described as a “gotaway.”

Raportoinut AI

A federal judge in Nevada has ruled that ICE imposed unlawful coercive conditions on Kevin Eliel Aguirre Solis, a Nicaraguan asylum seeker previously tortured in his home country. The order vacates requirements like an ankle monitor and curfew, citing violations of his due process rights. This follows his release from detention after a successful habeas corpus petition.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement said it has deported several noncitizens convicted of violent crimes, including homicide, rape and assault, as the Trump administration highlights enforcement figures ahead of President Donald Trump’s State of the Union address. ICE and the Department of Homeland Security have said removals since Trump returned to office have exceeded 670,000, and the administration also claims more than 2 million people have left the country voluntarily.

Raportoinut AI

Texas immigration authorities released two young Mexican mariachis and their family after nearly two weeks in detention centers. Brothers Antonio and Caleb Gámez-Cuéllar, from San Luis Potosí, were arrested in February along with their parents and younger brother. Lawmakers from both parties celebrated the release and called for further action.

Tämä verkkosivusto käyttää evästeitä

Käytämme evästeitä analyysiä varten parantaaksemme sivustoamme. Lue tietosuojakäytäntömme tietosuojakäytäntö lisätietoja varten.
Hylkää