Lawyers question bullet link in Charlie Kirk killing case

Lawyers for Tyler Robinson, charged with murdering conservative activist Charlie Kirk, have requested a delay in his preliminary hearing to review evidence, including an inconclusive ATF bullet analysis. The defense cites a federal report that could not connect a bullet fragment from Kirk's autopsy to a rifle found near the scene. Prosecutors plan to seek the death penalty in the case.

Provo, Utah — Tyler Robinson's defense team filed a motion to postpone the preliminary hearing scheduled for May, arguing they need more time to examine extensive materials and a key forensic report. According to court documents, an analysis by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) failed to conclusively link a bullet fragment recovered during Charlie Kirk's autopsy to the rifle discovered near the shooting site at Utah Valley University in Orem on September 10. The FBI is conducting additional tests, including a second bullet analysis and an examination of the bullet's lead composition, the filings state, as reported by CBS Salt Lake City affiliate KUTV. The ATF results remain private, though defense attorneys have referenced inconclusive snippets in public documents. Forensic ballistics experts rely on microscopic markings from a gun's barrel, akin to fingerprints, but success depends on the fragment's size and condition. Robinson, 22, faces aggravated murder charges, and prosecutors have said they intend to pursue the death penalty. They cite DNA matching Robinson on the rifle's trigger, a fired cartridge casing, and two unfired cartridges. Defense lawyers counter that multiple individuals' DNA appeared on some items, necessitating further analysis. Prosecutors also referenced a text from Robinson to his romantic partner, stating he targeted Kirk because he 'had enough of his hatred.' Robinson has not entered a plea. He is next due in court on April 17 for a hearing on a motion to prohibit cameras in the courtroom.

Liittyvät artikkelit

Illustration of suspect Cole Tomas Allen charged with attempted assassination of President Trump following White House Correspondents' Dinner shooting.
AI:n luoma kuva

Cole Tomas Allen charged with attempted assassination of Trump after WHCD shooting

Raportoinut AI AI:n luoma kuva

Federal prosecutors have charged 31-year-old Cole Tomas Allen with attempting to assassinate President Trump in connection with Saturday's shooting at the White House Correspondents' Dinner. Details from unsealed court documents reveal the suspect's targeting plans, amid praise for Secret Service response and calls for enhanced security.

A Utah judge has denied a defense motion to remove prosecutors from the case against the man accused of killing conservative activist Charlie Kirk. The ruling addresses concerns over a potential conflict of interest involving a prosecutor's family member present at the event. The case involves serious charges stemming from a shooting at a university rally last year.

Raportoinut AI

Candace Owens has launched a new podcast series titled Bride of Charlie, alleging betrayals and conspiracies surrounding the death of conservative leader Charlie Kirk. The series questions the involvement of Kirk's widow, Erika Kirk, and invokes elements like time travel and foreign governments. The claims have drawn sharp criticism from much of the conservative movement.

Kevin Rodriguez, convicted of second-degree murder in a 2019 stabbing, has filed a motion for a new trial claiming juror misconduct. The juror, Connor Wohlleben, allegedly stabbed two people days after the trial. Rodriguez argues this raises questions about the juror's fitness during deliberations.

Raportoinut AI

Sterling Louis Black faces second-degree murder charges after allegedly shooting his child's mother in a Riverton motel room, leaving their young daughter to discover the body. The child told police that her father was angry with her mother and had gone for a walk. Authorities recovered evidence linking Black to the crime, including a matching handgun.

Michael Abatti, a 63-year-old California farming magnate, faces first-degree murder charges for allegedly shooting his estranged wife, Kerri Ann Abatti, 59, at her Arizona home last November. Court documents unsealed this week detail how Abatti told family he was hunting before driving seven hours to the scene. The shooting occurred amid an acrimonious divorce involving a $200 million trust.

Raportoinut AI

A preliminary investigation into a suspected murder in Borlänge has been dropped. The incident occurred in December 2025 when a man in his forties was found dead in Domnarvet. The prosecutor cites self-defense as the reason.

 

 

 

Tämä verkkosivusto käyttää evästeitä

Käytämme evästeitä analyysiä varten parantaaksemme sivustoamme. Lue tietosuojakäytäntömme tietosuojakäytäntö lisätietoja varten.
Hylkää