Reverend Chikane testifies on stalled apartheid prosecutions

Reverend Frank Chikane told the Khampepe commission that authorities failed to pursue leads from plea agreements in apartheid-era cases. He highlighted the 2007 suspended sentences for those who plotted his poisoning and questioned why more was not done.

Veteran anti-apartheid cleric Reverend Frank Chikane testified before the Khampepe commission of inquiry in Johannesburg on Tuesday. He described his distress after the 2007 plea bargain that gave suspended sentences to former police minister Adriaan Vlok and others involved in two poisoning attempts on him in 1989.

Chikane said the agreement provided names and details that could have led to further charges against figures such as Dr Wouter Basson, head of the apartheid chemical warfare programme known as Project Coast. He noted that Basson had faced 67 counts including 229 murders in 1999, yet key lines of inquiry were dropped.

The cleric also criticised the National Prosecuting Authority for not following up on information from the plea deals. He recalled how he later held senior government positions and gained access to records at the Roodeplaat Research Laboratory, where toxic agents had been stored.

Liittyvät artikkelit

Brigadier Abraham Nkhwashu testifying at Madlanga Commission, denying interference in Swart murder investigation.
AI:n luoma kuva

Sedibeng police commissioner denies interfering in Swart murder probe

Raportoinut AI AI:n luoma kuva

Brigadier Abraham Nkhwashu, Sedibeng District Commissioner, testified at the Madlanga Commission on April 22, 2026, denying allegations of aiding his brother-in-law Katiso “KT” Molefe in the investigation into engineer Armand Swart’s murder. Nkhwashu admitted visiting Molefe in prison but described it as a humanitarian act to deliver clothing. He apologised to Swart’s family and called for justice if Molefe is guilty.

Anton Ackermann, a former top prosecutor, testified at the Khampepe inquiry about how former president Thabo Mbeki's actions led to delays in Truth and Reconciliation Commission prosecutions. He described a systematic effort to protect apartheid-era perpetrators through policy changes and political interference. Ackermann highlighted the distinction between reconciliation and justice for victims.

Raportoinut AI

A veteran advocate has told an inquiry that apartheid-era generals tried to halt investigations into past atrocities by threatening to expose senior ANC figures. The testimony came at the Khampepe Commission examining delays in Truth and Reconciliation Commission prosecutions.

Security strategist Andy Mashaile urges accountability for former KwaZulu-Natal Hawks head Johan Booysen over alleged killings by the Cato Manor Violent Crime Unit. The unit faces accusations of murdering members of the KwaMaphumulo Taxi Association between 2008 and 2012. These claims emerged during the Nkabinde Enquiry into prosecutor Andrew Chauke's conduct.

Raportoinut AI

Suspended South Gauteng DPP Andrew Chauke testified at the ongoing Nkabinde Inquiry that years of corruption allegations have taken a toll on his family and close associates.

Matipandile Sotheni, facing 16 counts linked to the murder of Madlanga Commission witness Marius van der Merwe, told a court he learned of the killing only through television reports and denied any involvement in a plot.

Raportoinut AI

Former South African presidents Thabo Mbeki and Jacob Zuma have filed a court challenge to remove retired judge Sisi Khampepe from heading an inquiry into delays in Truth and Reconciliation Commission prosecutions. The move targets alleged political interference in apartheid-era cases and raises questions about judicial impartiality. President Cyril Ramaphosa has stated he will abide by the court's decision.

 

 

 

Tämä verkkosivusto käyttää evästeitä

Käytämme evästeitä analyysiä varten parantaaksemme sivustoamme. Lue tietosuojakäytäntömme tietosuojakäytäntö lisätietoja varten.
Hylkää