Joe Bob Briggs reflects on 'The Last Drive-In' cancellation

Joe Bob Briggs, host of Shudder's horror series 'The Last Drive-In,' announced the March 6 episode as its finale, describing the end as a 'joyous cancellation' due to strong fan support. Shudder will air four specials featuring Briggs in 2026, while he plans new projects including a production company. Briggs expressed gratitude for the show's impact on his career and fan connections.

Joe Bob Briggs revealed that the Friday, March 6, 2026, episode of his Shudder series 'The Last Drive-In' marked the end of its seven-season run. He noted that the decision to announce the finale on the day of the broadcast was not his choice, aiming to maximize viewership. 'I wanted to tell people earlier, but the decision was made to just tell people on the day of the final show,' Briggs said. 'So I wanted as many people as possible to watch that final show, but I didn’t have control of that.'

Briggs, a veteran horror host, began his career with 'Joe Bob’s Drive-in Theater' on The Movie Channel from 1986 to 1996, followed by 'MonsterVision' on TNT from 1996 to 2000. His 2018 Shudder marathon evolved into the regular series, which he co-hosted with Darcy the Mail Girl. Despite the emotional farewell after eight years, Briggs highlighted the positive fan response. 'This was the most joyous cancellation I ever had, because as soon as people knew about it, the phones lit up, the e-mail inbox filled up,' he said. Fans expressed shock and urged him to continue elsewhere, with some threatening to cancel their Shudder subscriptions.

Shudder's EVP Courtney Thomasma praised Briggs in a statement: 'Joe Bob Briggs has been a Shudder staple since 2018, when his original 13-movie marathon ‘broke the internet.’ Since then, he and Darcy the Mail Girl have continued to delight Shudder fans with double features and seasonal specials tailored to horror buffs and cinephiles alike, always offering plenty of surprises.' The network commissioned four 2026 specials: 'Joe Bob’s Wicked Witchy Wingding' on April 24 for Walpurgisnacht, plus editions for Halloween, Christmas, and summer.

Looking ahead, Briggs is grateful for the timing. 'I’m grateful to Shudder for firing me at the height of the show’s popularity, because it actually frees me up to do quite a few things,' he said. Plans include more live events, writing projects, and a new horror production company with Bob Bernie at Pictureouse. As of January 1, 2027, he becomes a free agent for potential new shows, possibly reimagining the format. Darcy will remain involved, contributing ideas and on-air chemistry. Briggs reflected fondly: 'I can’t thank Shudder enough. They propelled me into the forefront of the horror world.' The show fostered deep fan bonds, including charity raises and personal stories shared during its run.

Labaran da ke da alaƙa

Sarah Michelle Gellar in interview, illustrating her comments on Hulu executive's role in Buffy reboot cancellation.
Hoton da AI ya samar

Sarah Michelle Gellar blames Hulu executive's unfamiliarity with original series for Buffy reboot cancellation

An Ruwaito ta hanyar AI Hoton da AI ya samar

Sarah Michelle Gellar stated that a Hulu executive who had not watched the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer series contributed significantly to the cancellation of the planned reboot. In a People interview, she described the challenges faced during development. Fans have expressed disappointment over the news.

The writer and director of what may be Nicholas Brendon's final starring role has shared a statement grieving the 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' actor's death, vowing to honor his legacy.

An Ruwaito ta hanyar AI

Stephen Colbert hosted the final episode of The Late Show on CBS on May 21, 2026, at the Ed Sullivan Theater in New York City. The program ended after CBS announced its cancellation last summer for financial reasons. Paul McCartney appeared as the last guest.

Prime Video has renewed the adult animated comedy Hazbin Hotel for a fifth and final season. The streamer announced the news on Saturday, confirming the series will conclude after that installment. Creator Vivienne Medrano expressed gratitude for the partnership.

An Ruwaito ta hanyar AI

Shudder has announced that all seven seasons of HBO's horror anthology series Tales From the Crypt will begin streaming on the platform for the first time ever, starting with Season 1 on May 1. Additional seasons will roll out weekly every Friday until June 12. The series, hosted by the Crypt Keeper voiced by John Kassir, features self-contained stories inspired by 1950s EC Comics.

Wannan shafin yana amfani da cookies

Muna amfani da cookies don nazari don inganta shafin mu. Karanta manufar sirri mu don ƙarin bayani.
Ƙi