Advocate urges liability for liquor board in Enyobeni tragedy

An advocate has argued that the Eastern Cape Liquor Board and the owners of Enyobeni Tavern should face criminal charges over the deaths of 21 young people in Scenery Park. The call came during closing arguments in an inquest at the Regional Court in Mdantsane. The inquest was postponed to 10 July for a ruling.

Advocate Luvuyo Vena, the evidence leader, told the court that the liquor board licensed the tavern despite clear failures to meet structural and safety rules. He described the approval as an act of financial gain rather than regulatory compliance and said both the board and tavern owners Siyakhangela and Vuyokazi Ndevu should be held responsible.

The owners rejected the claim. Vuyokazi Ndevu said she was not at the tavern on the night in question, while Siyakhangela Ndevu argued that parents also bore responsibility because the young people had not been invited.

A lawyer for former employee Thembisa Diko told the court there was no evidence linking pepper spray discharged by his client to the deaths. He said Diko had warned the owners about overcrowding and should be cleared.

Parents of the victims said they hope the inquest findings will lead to criminal prosecution of anyone found liable.

संबंधित लेख

Illustration of NPA prosecutors announcing charges in the Life Esidimeni tragedy case, with grieving families present, symbolizing long-awaited accountability.
AI द्वारा उत्पन्न छवि

NPA to prosecute Life Esidimeni officials after nearly a decade

AI द्वारा रिपोर्ट किया गया AI द्वारा उत्पन्न छवि

The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) has announced criminal prosecutions against individuals implicated in the Life Esidimeni tragedy, where at least 141 mental healthcare users died in 2015 and 2016. The patients had been transferred from licensed facilities to unregistered and ill-equipped NGOs. Families and activists hail the decision as a vital step toward accountability.

The legal representative for families in the Enyobeni inquest has requested that the deaths of 21 young people be referred for criminal prosecution. Attorney Vuyisile Magqabi made the submission in closing remarks at the KuGompo City Regional Court in Mdantsane on May 18. He argued that tavern owners Siyakhagela and Vuyokazi Ndevu along with former bouncer Thembisa Diko failed to protect patrons.

AI द्वारा रिपोर्ट किया गया

Security strategist Andy Mashaile urges accountability for former KwaZulu-Natal Hawks head Johan Booysen over alleged killings by the Cato Manor Violent Crime Unit. The unit faces accusations of murdering members of the KwaMaphumulo Taxi Association between 2008 and 2012. These claims emerged during the Nkabinde Enquiry into prosecutor Andrew Chauke's conduct.

Matipandile Sotheni, facing 16 counts linked to the murder of Madlanga Commission witness Marius van der Merwe, told a court he learned of the killing only through television reports and denied any involvement in a plot.

AI द्वारा रिपोर्ट किया गया

The Gauteng Liquor Traders Association has rejected a proposal by the Gauteng Liquor Board to raise annual liquor license fees, which currently stand at up to R6 000. The group argues that the hikes would burden traders, particularly in townships. This stance comes ahead of the national budget speech that may include increases in sin taxes on alcohol.

यह वेबसाइट कुकीज़ का उपयोग करती है

हम अपनी साइट को बेहतर बनाने के लिए विश्लेषण के लिए कुकीज़ का उपयोग करते हैं। अधिक जानकारी के लिए हमारी गोपनीयता नीति पढ़ें।
अस्वीकार करें