Federal judge in Maryland courtroom blocks ICE from re-detaining Kilmar Abrego Garcia, amid immigration legal battle.
Federal judge in Maryland courtroom blocks ICE from re-detaining Kilmar Abrego Garcia, amid immigration legal battle.
Изображение, созданное ИИ

Judge blocks new ICE bid to detain Kilmar Abrego Garcia after ordering his release

Изображение, созданное ИИ
Проверено фактами

A federal judge in Maryland has temporarily barred immigration officials from re-detaining Kilmar Abrego Garcia, one day after she ordered him freed from an ICE facility in Pennsylvania, amid an escalating legal fight over his deportation and detention.

U.S. District Judge Paula Xinis on Thursday ordered the immediate release of Kilmar Abrego Garcia from the Moshannon Valley Processing Center in Pennsylvania, finding that Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) lacked a valid final removal order to justify holding him, according to the Daily Wire and other outlets. In her ruling, Xinis said that since Abrego Garcia’s return from wrongful detention in El Salvador, he had again been held "without lawful authority" and granted his petition for release.

On Friday, Xinis issued a separate temporary restraining order that prevents ICE from taking Abrego Garcia back into custody during a scheduled check-in at an ICE field office in Baltimore, multiple news organizations, including the Associated Press and The Guardian, have reported. The emergency order came after Abrego Garcia’s attorneys warned that immigration authorities planned to re-detain him shortly after his court-ordered release.

Abrego Garcia, a Salvadoran national who has lived for years in Maryland and has a U.S. citizen wife and child, was previously deported to El Salvador and held in the country’s CECOT mega-prison in what U.S. courts later found to be an illegal removal, according to The Guardian and other reports. The Supreme Court earlier this year ruled that the Trump administration must facilitate his return to the United States and ensure his case proceeds as if he had not been improperly deported, the Daily Wire has noted.

Since being brought back to the United States, Abrego Garcia has faced federal human smuggling charges in Tennessee, to which he has pleaded not guilty, The Washington Post and the Daily Wire have reported. Prosecutors allege he helped transport migrants from Central and South America into the United States. His lawyers argue that the case is vindictive and retaliatory, and a federal judge in Tennessee has allowed them to pursue evidence on whether the prosecution is illegal retaliation, according to earlier court coverage by The Guardian.

In the immigration case, Xinis has sharply criticized the government’s handling of Abrego Garcia, saying that officials misled the court and pursued removal efforts without the necessary legal authority, according to Associated Press and Washington Post reports. Her latest order bars ICE from re-detaining him at least until further hearings are held on the legality of his detention and the government’s plans to deport him to a third country.

After leaving ICE custody and appearing for his Baltimore check-in, Abrego Garcia told supporters that he planned to continue contesting what he describes as injustices by the U.S. government, The Guardian has reported. He has also applied for asylum and other protections, and his legal battles have made him a prominent symbol in the political fight over President Donald Trump’s second-term immigration agenda.

The Department of Homeland Security has condemned Xinis’s decisions and signaled plans to appeal. In a statement reported by the Daily Wire, DHS Assistant Secretary Tricia McLaughlin called the judge’s order freeing Abrego Garcia "naked judicial activism" and said the department would "continue to fight this tooth and nail in the courts." The broader dispute over his detention, deportation and criminal case is expected to continue in federal courts in both Maryland and Tennessee.

Что говорят люди

Discussions on X about the federal judge blocking ICE from re-detaining Kilmar Abrego Garcia after his release are highly polarized. Conservative voices condemn the ruling as activist lawfare by an Obama-appointed judge, portraying Garcia as an MS-13 gang member deserving deportation and calling for appeals. Progressive users praise it as a due process victory against Trump administration overreach, highlighting lack of evidence for gang ties. Reporters share neutral updates on Garcia's statements and ICE's defiant response.

Связанные статьи

A federal judge dismissing the human smuggling case against Kilmar Abrego Garcia in a Tennessee courtroom.
Изображение, созданное ИИ

Federal judge in Tennessee dismisses human smuggling case against Kilmar Abrego Garcia, citing vindictive prosecution

Сообщено ИИ Изображение, созданное ИИ Проверено фактами

A federal judge has dismissed human smuggling and conspiracy charges against Kilmar Abrego Garcia, finding the case was tainted by a vindictive motive tied to his successful legal challenge to his mistaken deportation to El Salvador in 2025.

Attorneys for Kilmar Abrego Garcia urged U.S. District Judge Waverly Crenshaw to dismiss human smuggling charges against their client, labeling the Department of Justice's explanations as 'legally irrelevant and patently incredible.' The request follows an evidentiary hearing where government witnesses testified about the case's origins. The prosecution emerged after Abrego Garcia's wrongful deportation and court-ordered return.

Сообщено ИИ

A federal judge in West Virginia has issued a stern warning to officials, stating that continued illegal detentions by Immigration and Customs Enforcement will lead to contempt proceedings and sanctions without qualified immunity. The ruling comes in a habeas corpus case involving Miguel Antonio Dominguez Izaguirre, whose detention was deemed a violation of due process rights. This decision highlights ongoing judicial rejections of the government's interpretation of immigration detention laws.

Federal prosecutors say Carlos Ivan Mendoza Hernandez, 36, was arrested and charged after an April 7 Immigration and Customs Enforcement stop in Patterson, California, during which authorities allege he struck an agent with his car. Mendoza Hernandez was shot multiple times during the encounter and later appeared in federal court in Sacramento on the assault charge, according to court filings and reporting by the Associated Press and other outlets.

Сообщено ИИ Проверено фактами

The Board of Immigration Appeals has issued a final order of removal against Mahmoud Khalil, a Syrian-born U.S. lawful permanent resident and prominent Columbia University protest organizer, according to his lawyers. Khalil and his attorneys say the case is politically motivated and plan to continue challenging it in federal court, where a separate proceeding has so far prevented his immediate deportation.

Этот сайт использует куки

Мы используем куки для анализа, чтобы улучшить наш сайт. Прочитайте нашу политику конфиденциальности для дополнительной информации.
Отклонить