Chauke inquiry stalls over witness issues and Batohi's exit

The inquiry into Gauteng NPA prosecutor Andrew Chauke has hit a snag as key witnesses withdraw and outgoing NPA head Shamila Batohi refuses to testify without legal representation. The panel, appointed at Batohi's urging, adjourned proceedings amid these setbacks. Chauke faces accusations of interfering in high-profile cases from 2012.

The Nkabinde Inquiry, tasked with assessing Gauteng National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) prosecutor Andrew Chauke's fitness for office, resumed in Pretoria on January 26, 2026, but quickly faced obstacles. Chaired by Judge Bess Nkabinde and assisted by advocate Elizabeth Baloyi-Mere and attorney Matshego Ramagaga, the panel was established by President Cyril Ramaphosa following a request from NPA head Shamila Batohi, who is set to retire at month's end.

Batohi attended the session but declined to take the stand, insisting on state-funded legal representation—a request denied by the Solicitor-General and Justice Minister Mmamoloko Kubayi. Her abrupt departure from proceedings in late 2025, after intense cross-examination, had already delayed the inquiry by five weeks. That exit followed the presentation of graphic video footage from a 2007 shootout involving the Cato Manor Unit, which Batohi said she had never seen before.

Chauke stands accused of political interference in laying racketeering charges against former KwaZulu-Natal Hawks head Johan Booysen and his Cato Manor Unit in 2012, as well as obstructing a case against ex-SAPS Crime Intelligence chief Richard Mdluli, now on parole. Evidence leaders, advocates Themba Skosana and David Mohlamonyane, reported that several witnesses had withdrawn. Former KwaZulu-Natal prosecutor Moipone Noko, who resigned in 2021, backed out despite earlier commitments, surprising the team.

"Days passed and I waited and followed up as much as I could. It was not coming through... On Thursday, to our greatest surprise, she informed me she was not prepared anymore to testify," Mohlamonyane told the panel. Similarly, ex-prosecutor Simphiwe Mlotshwa cited retirement and personal commitments, including training for the Comrades Marathon, as reasons for not providing a statement. Booysen is slated to testify only at the end of February, while no affidavits have been secured for the Mdluli matter.

Advocate Tembeka Ngcukaitobi, representing Chauke—who denies the allegations—opposed a requested week-long adjournment, calling Batohi's actions "delinquent" and her walkout a unilateral decision that harmed his client. The inquiry adjourned until Thursday to address these issues and new information, with new NPA head Andy Mothibi assuming office on February 2. Nkabinde urged the team to expedite witness consultations, warning that time was short.

Awọn iroyin ti o ni ibatan

Brown Mogotsi arrested outside the Madlanga Commission after testifying
Àwòrán tí AI ṣe

Brown Mogotsi arrested moments after testifying at Madlanga Commission

Ti AI ṣe iroyin Àwòrán tí AI ṣe

North West businessman Brown Mogotsi was arrested shortly after finishing testimony at the Madlanga Commission in Pretoria on Friday. His lawyer confirmed the arrest followed proceedings where Mogotsi’s bid to recuse evidence leader Matthew Chaskalson was dismissed. Police said the arrest relates to defeating the ends of justice.

Suspended South Gauteng DPP Andrew Chauke testified at the ongoing Nkabinde Inquiry that years of corruption allegations have taken a toll on his family and close associates.

Ti AI ṣe iroyin

The Khampepe Commission of Inquiry into delays in Truth and Reconciliation Commission prosecutions has heard testimony on threats faced by investigators and progress made in handling cases. Advocate Shubnum Singh detailed active interference, including phone hacks and surveillance by persons of interest. Former NPA head Shamila Batohi outlined strategies to fast-track the cases.

Former South African presidents Thabo Mbeki and Jacob Zuma have filed a court challenge to remove retired judge Sisi Khampepe from heading an inquiry into delays in Truth and Reconciliation Commission prosecutions. The move targets alleged political interference in apartheid-era cases and raises questions about judicial impartiality. President Cyril Ramaphosa has stated he will abide by the court's decision.

Ti AI ṣe iroyin

The Khampepe Commission has heard testimony on the 1983 kidnapping and torture of anti-apartheid activist Nokuthula Simelane, whose case was stalled by political decisions. Investigator Andrew Leask detailed how security police officers were linked to her death, but prosecutions were halted by orders from former justice minister Brigitte Mabandla. Interference from police commissioner Jackie Selebi further obstructed efforts to bring suspects to trial.

The Madlanga Commission of Inquiry closed its hearing to the public on 4 May 2026 during the testimony of a Crime Intelligence officer known as Witness G. The switch to a private session followed the witness's refusal to disclose details that could reveal their identity. The testimony concerns suspicious deaths and businessman Brown Mogotsi.

Ti AI ṣe iroyin

A South African court has dismissed an urgent interdict sought by Nelson Mandela Bay mayor Babalwa Lobishe against former Good party regional chairman Siyanda Mayana, who accused her of illegal activities. Mayana claims he faces intimidation from ANC officials amid an ongoing Hawks investigation into her finances. The ruling allows Mayana to continue his public criticisms without legal restraint for now.

 

 

 

Ojú-ìwé yìí nlo kuki

A nlo kuki fun itupalẹ lati mu ilọsiwaju wa. Ka ìlànà àṣírí wa fun alaye siwaju sii.
Kọ