No evidence against Romualdez in flood control probe, says lawyer

Rep. Martin Romualdez's lawyer stated there is no evidence linking him to ghost or substandard flood control projects eyed for plunder charges by the Ombudsman. Ombudsman Jesus Crispin Remulla said they are preparing cases against Romualdez and former Senate President Francis Escudero. Romualdez expressed willingness to cooperate.

MANILA, Philippines — Lawyer Ade Fajardo said there is no evidence linking Rep. Martin Romualdez, a maternal first cousin of President Marcos, to any ghost or substandard flood control projects. "We remain confident that these matters will be resolved based on evidence and due process, not politics or speculation," Fajardo stated.

Ombudsman Jesus Crispin Remulla told reporters on Monday that his office is preparing to hold Romualdez and former Senate President Francis Escudero liable for plunder, with a possible filing at the Sandiganbayan court next month. However, Fajardo clarified, "to be clear, this refers only to a reported preparation of a complaint – there is no filed case, no finding of probable cause and no determination of liability at this time."

Malacañang emphasized adherence to due process. Presidential Communications Undersecretary Claire Castro said the administration avoids baseless charges for media exposure and that President Marcos Jr. led the probe into the anomalous projects.

In a related note, House Secretary-General Cheloy Garafil expressed full trust in the Ombudsman and no intention to defy its order for the SALNs of 318 House members.

Awọn iroyin ti o ni ibatan

Ombudsman Remulla firmly announces no recusal from Romualdez flood control scandal probe, with asset freezes and travel bans highlighted.
Àwòrán tí AI ṣe

Remulla: No inhibition in Romualdez flood control case

Ti AI ṣe iroyin Àwòrán tí AI ṣe

Ombudsman Jesus Crispin Remulla insisted he will not inhibit from the probe linking former House Speaker Martin Romualdez to the flood control scandal. He confirmed a Court of Appeals freeze order on Romualdez's assets and warned of more cases to come. Hold departure orders were also sought against former Senate President Francis Escudero and businessman Maynard Ngu.

Former House speaker and Leyte Rep. Martin Romualdez has moved to disqualify the Office of the Ombudsman from probing his alleged involvement in the flood control controversy, warning of a ‘pattern of prejudgment’ that violates due process. In a four-page letter dated April 22, his lawyers argued that statements by Ombudsman Jesus Crispin Remulla show prosecution for plunder was decided in advance. He seeks handling by a neutral official.

Ti AI ṣe iroyin

Malacañang said President Marcos does not feel alluded to by former House Speaker Martin Romualdez's criticism of corruption in the administration. It maintained that Marcos himself ordered the probe into questionable flood control projects. The Sandiganbayan also issued a hold departure order against Romualdez.

In the resolution of its probe into Sen. Rodante Marcoleta's undisclosed P75 million Senate campaign donations—previously complicated by a SALN complaint—election lawyer Romulo Macalintal criticized the Commission on Elections' decision to clear the senator. The poll body found no evidence to charge him due to repealed disclosure rules and recommended complaints against his donors instead.

Ti AI ṣe iroyin

Senator Rodante Marcoleta is facing a plunder complaint before the Office of the Ombudsman over questions on his campaign donations. The complaint remains at the initial stage as the Ombudsman conducts further investigation.

Ojú-ìwé yìí nlo kuki

A nlo kuki fun itupalẹ lati mu ilọsiwaju wa. Ka ìlànà àṣírí wa fun alaye siwaju sii.
Kọ