Courtroom scene illustrating Sandiganbayan's arrest warrant for Zaldy Co over corrupt flood project in Oriental Mindoro.
Courtroom scene illustrating Sandiganbayan's arrest warrant for Zaldy Co over corrupt flood project in Oriental Mindoro.
Àwòrán tí AI ṣe

Sandiganbayan issues arrest warrant for Zaldy Co

Àwòrán tí AI ṣe

The Sandiganbayan has issued an arrest warrant and hold departure order against former lawmaker Zaldy Co and 17 others over an anomalous flood control project in Oriental Mindoro. President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. ordered authorities to enforce it immediately with no special treatment. Co, who left the Philippines in August, is willing to return under house arrest or bail due to safety fears.

On November 21, 2025, Philippine authorities confirmed that the anti-graft Sandiganbayan court had issued arrest warrants against former lawmaker Zaldy Co and 17 others in connection with a P289.5 million flood control project along the Mag-Asawang Tubig River in Naujan, Oriental Mindoro. The project was implemented by the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Region IV-B and involves officials such as Regional Director Gerald Pacanan, Assistant Regional Directors Gene Ryan Altea and Ruben Santos Jr., and members of the Sunwest Corp. board, allegedly co-owned by Co.

In a video posted on his Facebook page, President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. said, “Let’s not delay this any longer. Arrest them now. Make sure it is done quickly and correctly. The wheels of justice are turning.” He emphasized that the cases are based on 'solid evidence' and assured no special treatment for any accused.

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) is awaiting a court order to cancel Co's passport under Republic Act 11983, or the New Philippine Passport Act. Co is the only accused confirmed to be abroad, with his exact location unknown. According to his lawyer Ruy Rondain, Co is willing to return if placed under house arrest or allowed bail due to fears for his life. “House arrest or bail. Bail will do because he is afraid of getting killed in jail,” Rondain said.

Meanwhile, the DPWH and Independent Commission for Infrastructure (ICI) recommended plunder, graft, and direct bribery charges against Co and former House Speaker Martin Romualdez. This is based on contracts from Sunwest Inc. and Hi-Tone Construction between 2016 and 2025, as well as testimony from Co's former security aide Orly Guteza about delivering 35 suitcases of cash to Romualdez—though the affidavit's credibility was challenged.

Romualdez stated there is no credible evidence against him and trusts the Ombudsman's impartiality. “Throughout all these proceedings, no sworn or credible evidence has ever linked me to any irregularity, and again, my conscience remains clear,” he said. He remains in Metro Manila and is ready to face the process.

Ohun tí àwọn ènìyàn ń sọ

Reactions on X largely welcome the Sandiganbayan's arrest warrants against Zaldy Co and 17 others for the anomalous Oriental Mindoro flood control project, praising President Marcos for enforcing the law without special treatment. Journalists highlight failed attempts to serve the warrant at Co's Taguig condo and calls for voluntary surrender. Some users express skepticism, suggesting political motivations or fears for Co's safety if he returns.

Awọn iroyin ti o ni ibatan

Acting Justice Secretary Fredderick Vida announces Zaldy Co is no longer in Czech custody but remains in Schengen area, press conference scene.
Àwòrán tí AI ṣe

Zaldy Co no longer in Czech custody, DOJ says

Ti AI ṣe iroyin Àwòrán tí AI ṣe

Acting Justice Secretary Fredderick Vida announced that former lawmaker Zaldy Co is no longer in Czech custody. He confirmed Co remains within the Schengen area. The hunt continues after an intervention last week.

The Sandiganbayan has upheld its denial of bail for nine co-accused of fugitive lawmaker Zaldy Co in the Oriental Mindoro flood control malversation case, rejecting their motion for reconsideration in a 27-page resolution.

Ti AI ṣe iroyin

The Sandiganbayan Fifth Division has issued a writ of preliminary attachment against 16 properties of former lawmaker Zaldy Co to secure over P215 million in potential civil liabilities from alleged graft and malversation in a flood control project in Naujan, Oriental Mindoro. The decision was promulgated on March 4, 2026, and made public on March 9. Co faces the charges and has been declared a fugitive after leaving the Philippines before the Ombudsman filed the case in November 2025.

A Manila court has barred Senator Jinggoy Estrada from leaving the Philippines due to criminal complaints linked to the flood control mess. This follows the Department of Justice securing a precautionary hold departure order in February. The allegations stem from witnesses like former district engineer Henry Alcantara, who claimed the senator received kickbacks from flood control projects.

Ti AI ṣe iroyin

Justice Secretary Fredderick Vida flew to the Czech Republic on April 23, 2026, to facilitate the return of former Ako Bicol lawmaker Zaldy Co, detained at the Czech-German border over incomplete documents and wanted in the Revilla Pandi Flood Control Malversation Case. Lacking an extradition treaty, officials are using the UN Convention Against Corruption amid early-stage proceedings.

Ojú-ìwé yìí nlo kuki

A nlo kuki fun itupalẹ lati mu ilọsiwaju wa. Ka ìlànà àṣírí wa fun alaye siwaju sii.
Kọ