Sakaja issues new construction guidelines after Westlands building collapse

Nairobi Governor Johnson Sakaja has announced new guidelines requiring construction professionals to notify authorities if removed from project sites. This follows the collapse of a 22-storey building in Westlands on Wednesday. The measures target loopholes exploited by developers.

Nairobi Governor Johnson Sakaja announced new construction guidelines on Thursday following the collapse of a 22-storey building in Westlands on Wednesday. The directive requires professionals involved in projects to notify both the county government and their regulatory bodies if removed from a site. “We have told the professional bodies to tell their members that if anybody is removed from a site, they must inform the county and that body, so that we can know if a building is going on without the proper professional support,” Sakaja said. Affected associations include the Architectural Association of Kenya, Institution of Surveyors of Kenya, and Engineers Board of Kenya. Sakaja noted a common loophole where developers hire qualified professionals for approvals then dismiss them, risking safety standards. He outlined the approval process: applications by architects, engineers, and quantity surveyors include signed indemnities for quality and safety, reviewed by an urban planning technical committee. Sakaja referenced a 16-storey building collapse in South C earlier this year, stating involved professionals could face prosecution. The guidelines follow increased scrutiny after collapses including in Shauri Moyo.

相关文章

Nairobi governor Johnson Sakaja has warned planning officers and surveyors over approvals for unlawful developments on riparian land. He assured they will be held accountable as demolitions of structures along waterways continue. He urged residents in high-risk areas to relocate amid ongoing heavy rains.

由 AI 报道

The National Construction Authority (NCA) has ordered the demolition of a five-storey building in Nairobi's Roysambu estate after an inspection deemed it a public safety risk. The structure has developed severe cracks and stands meters from Mirema Primary School, endangering thousands of pupils. The owner ignored compliance orders issued since 2022.

Ambon City Council has asked subdistrict heads to enhance oversight and enforcement of unlicensed buildings to protect spatial planning and safety. M. Fadli Toisuta, deputy chairman of Commission I, highlighted weak subdistrict-level monitoring as a key issue.

由 AI 报道

Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen has halted construction of a planned multi-agency security facility along the Moyale-Marsabit-Isiolo road corridor following disputes over land ownership between Wajir and Marsabit counties. The decision came after a meeting with leaders from both counties on Friday, May 15. Clashes the previous day left several people injured.

此网站使用 cookie

我们使用 cookie 进行分析以改进我们的网站。阅读我们的 隐私政策 以获取更多信息。
拒绝