All schools reopen in Cape Winelands District

The Western Cape Education Department has confirmed that all schools in the Cape Winelands District have reopened following closures caused by severe weather last week.

The Western Cape Education Department announced on Friday that schools in the Cape Winelands District are now open. Several schools had shut since last week after storms damaged roads and left some areas inaccessible.

Provincial Education Minister David Maynier stated that six schools in the Eden and Central Karoo Education District remain closed due to blocked access roads. District officials and school staff are working to restore normal operations.

Catch-up plans are being prepared to prevent any learner from falling behind because of the weather disruptions.

ተያያዥ ጽሁፎች

Flooded informal settlement in Western Cape during severe storms with high winds and rain.
በ AI የተሰራ ምስል

Severe storms hit Western Cape, causing deaths and flooding

በAI የተዘገበ በ AI የተሰራ ምስል

Heavy rains and gale-force winds from two cold fronts battered the Western Cape on Monday, leading to at least one confirmed death, widespread flooding in informal settlements, school closures, and disruptions to power and transport.

The Western Cape Department of Education says six schools remain closed in the Eden and Central Karoo districts due to damage from recent storms. Western Cape Education MEC David Maynier reported that 64 schools have significant infrastructure damage and the department is concerned about the financial implications.

በAI የተዘገበ

Education authorities in the Western Cape and Eastern Cape have closed schools in high-risk areas on Wednesday and Thursday due to an intense low-pressure system bringing life-threatening floods and snow. The South African Weather Service issued multiple Orange-level warnings for disruptive rain, thunderstorms and damaging winds. Officials prioritised pupil safety as conditions are forecast to ease only from Friday.

The South African Weather Service (SAWS) warns of cold, wet and very windy conditions in parts of the Western Cape from Sunday morning. Forecaster Langutelani Mathebula says rough sea conditions are expected between Saldanha Bay and Plettenberg Bay.

በAI የተዘገበ

The South African Weather Service has issued a Level 8 warning for destructive rain in parts of the Eastern Cape on Wednesday. Residents are urged to remain vigilant and avoid unnecessary travel as heavy rain and strong winds persist. Kouga Municipality's disaster teams are on high alert preparing for potential flooding.

The Western Cape Department of Mobility is calling on motorists and pedestrians to be cautious over the upcoming long weekend, with increased traffic expected province-wide. Traffic Chief Maxine Bezuidenhout warns of speeding risks and outlines safety measures amid high-visibility police operations.

በAI የተዘገበ

Following earlier forecasts of dry southwestern winters, the South African Weather Service's latest outlook through September 2026 warns of a potential super El Niño by May, threatening summer droughts, while Western Cape dams sit at critically low 46% capacity.

 

 

 

ይህ ድረ-ገጽ ኩኪዎችን ይጠቀማል

የእኛን ጣቢያ ለማሻሻል ለትንታኔ ኩኪዎችን እንጠቀማለን። የእኛን የሚስጥር ፖሊሲ አንብቡ የሚስጥር ፖሊሲ ለተጨማሪ መረጃ።
ውድቅ አድርግ