DCI probes Gachagua's claims over fuel scandal

The Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) has opened a probe into former Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua's remarks alleging President William Ruto's involvement in recovering Ksh500 million from a Ksh4 billion substandard fuel scandal. Gachagua made the claims during a speech at AIPCA Gakoe Church in Gatundu North, Kiambu County, and also threatened to mobilize Gen Zs over alleged ID discrimination. DCI dismissed the fuel allegations as false and malicious.

Former Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua spoke on Sunday, April 5, 2026, at AIPCA Gakoe Church in Gatundu North, Kiambu County. He alleged that a substandard fuel importation scandal worth over Ksh4 billion was a soured deal, claiming four officials—former Principal Secretary Mohamed Liban, former Kenya Pipeline Company Managing Director Joe Sang, and former Energy and Petroleum Regulatory Authority Director General Daniel Kiptoo Bargoria—were arrested after Ksh500 million was recovered from their homes and surrendered to President William Ruto.

The DCI issued a statement noting, "The allegations levelled against the DCI in the course of Rigathi Gachagua's speech are false, unfounded, and malicious." The agency said it is investigating his remarks, particularly those in Gikuyu, for potential violations of the National Cohesion and Integration Act. "The DCI will not hesitate to take appropriate action where the law has been broken, irrespective of the status or position of any individual."

Gachagua also claimed discrimination in issuing national IDs in areas not supporting the Kenya Kwanza regime. "On the question of IDs, we have received reports that IDs are not being issued to areas which do not favour William Ruto... We will cry to the Gen Zs because we know they are the President's weakness," he said. He announced an opposition meeting on Monday, April 6.

The fuel scandal involves accusations of manipulating stock data to justify off-contract emergency purchases at inflated prices. President Ruto vowed implicated officials would face the full force of the law. Energy Cabinet Secretary Opiyo Wandayi said the ministry halted a second fuel cargo delivery.

ተያያዥ ጽሁፎች

Kenyan energy officials resigning after arrests in Ksh4 billion fuel scandal, with symbolic elements of corruption and fuel infrastructure.
በ AI የተሰራ ምስል

Energy bosses resign after arrests in Ksh4 billion fuel scandal

በAI የተዘገበ በ AI የተሰራ ምስል

Energy and Petroleum Regulatory Authority Director General Daniel Kiptoo, Kenya Pipeline Company Managing Director Joe Sang, and Petroleum Principal Secretary Mohamed Liban have resigned after arrests linked to a Ksh4 billion fuel scandal. Officials allegedly manipulated stock data to enable irregular procurement outside the government-to-government agreement. President William Ruto's office called the deal a blatant breach involving substandard fuel.

Rigathi Gachagua, DCP leader, accused the government of reviving a special 12-officer police unit—previously blamed for a January church attack—to disrupt opposition ahead of 2027 polls. He condemned a tear gas assault at his Kikuyu rally and vowed to press on with meetings, while allies criticised police politicisation. Kajiado police denied the claims.

በAI የተዘገበ

Former Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua sharply rebuked President William Ruto for lowering the presidency's dignity by discussing personal lives instead of pressing national issues. While receiving Millicent Omanga at his party headquarters, he alleged corruption in Nairobi's multibillion-shilling Railway City project.

The Orange Democratic Movement (ODM) has defended Energy CS Opiyo Wandayi and Trade CS Lee Kinyanjui against demands for their resignation following the KSh4.8 billion substandard fuel scandal, which led to arrests of senior officials earlier in the week. Party leader Oburu Odinga warned that public attacks could derail ongoing investigations.

በAI የተዘገበ

Democracy of the Citizens Party leader Rigathi Gachagua has claimed that the late Emurua Dikirr MP Johana Ng'eno was threatened by President William Ruto to support his impeachment last year. These remarks come after Ng'eno's death in a helicopter crash. An old video of Ng'eno recounting an alleged abduction has gone viral online.

Activist Francis Awino filed a petition at the Milimani High Court on Friday, April 10, 2026, seeking the suspension of Energy Cabinet Secretary Opiyo Wandayi over alleged involvement in the irregular procurement of substandard fuel worth Ksh4.8 billion. Awino wants urgent conservatory orders to bar Wandayi from exercising his powers and to hand over authority on fuel imports to an independent body under court supervision.

በAI የተዘገበ

Wiper leader Kalonzo Musyoka has claimed police attempted to assassinate him during an attack on an opposition convoy heading to Kikuyu. The convoy carried Kalonzo, Rigathi Gachagua and Eugene Wamalwa. Officers fired live rounds, teargas and rubber bullets.

 

 

 

ይህ ድረ-ገጽ ኩኪዎችን ይጠቀማል

የእኛን ጣቢያ ለማሻሻል ለትንታኔ ኩኪዎችን እንጠቀማለን። የእኛን የሚስጥር ፖሊሲ አንብቡ የሚስጥር ፖሊሲ ለተጨማሪ መረጃ።
ውድቅ አድርግ