FIFA stays silent on Pride Match as organizers highlight personal stakes

Nearly three weeks after Egypt and Iran objected to LGBTQ+ Pride events around their 2026 World Cup match in Seattle, FIFA has made no intervention, say local organizers. Eric Wahl, a gay committee member whose brother died in Qatar for supporting LGBTQ+ rights, urges respect for local cultures while emphasizing inclusivity.

Following initial protests from the Egyptian and Iranian football federations against Seattle's designation of the June 26, 2026, World Cup match between their teams at Lumen Field as a 'Pride Match'—due to clashes with their cultural and religious values—FIFA has remained silent.

Eric Wahl, a member of the Seattle Pride Match Advisory Committee, reports no contact from FIFA despite the Egyptian FA's letter to secretary-general Mattias Grafstrom invoking the body's neutrality statutes. "I know Egypt are petitioning FIFA, but it raises ethical issues," Wahl said. "In Qatar they said we had to respect the culture."

The plans, set over a year ago to align with Seattle Pride weekend and the Stonewall Riots anniversary, include citywide parades, a poster art display, and an LGBTQ+ history trail, with Pride flags likely in the stands but no match disruptions. Wahl stresses: "Everyone affiliated with Egypt and Iran soccer teams are welcome at our parades and events."

The event is bittersweet for Wahl: his brother, Grant Wahl, a football journalist, died in 2022 after detention in Qatar for wearing a rainbow shirt in LGBTQ+ support. "It is very much a bittersweet experience," he reflected, seeing it as a welcoming message.

BBC Sport sought comments from FIFA, Egypt, and Iran, receiving no responses.

ተያያዥ ጽሁፎች

Illustration depicting FIFA monitoring US-Iran conflict's impact on 2026 World Cup, with official at press conference amid maps of airstrikes and travel barriers.
በ AI የተሰራ ምስል

FIFA monitors US-Iran conflict ahead of 2026 World Cup

በAI የተዘገበ በ AI የተሰራ ምስል

FIFA has stated it is monitoring developments following US and Israeli airstrikes on Iran, emphasizing a focus on ensuring all teams participate safely in the 2026 World Cup. Iran, drawn in Group G, faces potential visa and travel barriers amid escalating tensions. The Iranian Football Federation president indicated participation is now unlikely.

A week after US and Israeli strikes on Iran, President Donald Trump downplayed concerns over Iran's participation in the US-hosted 2026 FIFA World Cup, while escalating conflict has stranded Iraq's coach and complicated visas for their intercontinental play-off in Mexico. FIFA vows to monitor for safe participation of all teams.

በAI የተዘገበ

Escalating tensions between the United States and Iran, including recent military strikes, have cast uncertainty over Iran's involvement in the 2026 FIFA World Cup. The Iranian football federation president has expressed doubts about participating, while FIFA rules outline potential sanctions for withdrawal. The tournament, co-hosted in North America, includes Iran's group-stage matches in US cities despite a travel ban on Iranians.

FIFA is set to increase the visibility of its anti-racism messaging at the 2026 World Cup in North America, following criticism over reduced prominence during last year's Club World Cup. The plans include featuring the 'No Racism' campaign in stadiums alongside other initiatives. This comes amid recent allegations of racial abuse involving Real Madrid's Vinicius Junior.

በAI የተዘገበ

Iran's national football team remains interested in competing in the 2026 World Cup, despite statements from its sports minister questioning participation due to conflicts with the United States. The Iranian ambassador to Mexico clarified that the decision is not final and suggested playing their matches in Mexico. Donald Trump recommended they not participate for their safety, while reiterating they are welcome.

ይህ ድረ-ገጽ ኩኪዎችን ይጠቀማል

የእኛን ጣቢያ ለማሻሻል ለትንታኔ ኩኪዎችን እንጠቀማለን። የእኛን የሚስጥር ፖሊሲ አንብቡ የሚስጥር ፖሊሲ ለተጨማሪ መረጃ።
ውድቅ አድርግ