Illustration depicting the conflict between DHS and Roy Cooper over Charlotte immigration enforcement, showing split scenes of press conferences and operation activities.
Illustration depicting the conflict between DHS and Roy Cooper over Charlotte immigration enforcement, showing split scenes of press conferences and operation activities.
Image generated by AI

DHS rebukes Roy Cooper after he criticizes Charlotte immigration operation

Image generated by AI
Fact checked

The Department of Homeland Security publicly pushed back on former North Carolina Gov. and U.S. Senate candidate Roy Cooper after he objected to tactics used in an immigration enforcement surge in Charlotte. Cooper warned against sweeps based on appearance; DHS pointed to years of detainer refusals and said the operation netted more than 130 arrests in its first two days.

On November 17, 2025, former North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper — now a 2026 U.S. Senate candidate — posted on social media that he supports deporting violent offenders but opposes “randomly sweeping up people based on what they look like,” arguing that such tactics could leave dangerous criminals at large while hurting families and the economy. Multiple local outlets and wire services reported the statement as Charlotte saw stepped-up federal enforcement.

DHS responded on November 18 on its official social media accounts, highlighting the case of Jordan Renato Castillo‑Chavez, whom the department described as a Costa Rican national with prior child‑sex related charges, and asserted that North Carolina authorities had previously declined to transfer him to Immigration and Customs Enforcement. Those details were presented by DHS on social media and in supportive coverage; independent outlets have not yet published court records for that specific individual.

Senior DHS officials amplified the rebuttal. Tricia McLaughlin, the department’s Assistant Secretary for Public Affairs, said on X that more than 1,400 immigration detainers in North Carolina went unhonored in recent years and rejected claims of racial profiling. Reuters likewise reported that DHS justified the Charlotte action by citing nearly 1,400 detainer requests that local officials did not comply with.

Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem defended the enforcement surge — dubbed “Operation Charlotte’s Web” — and urged local cooperation. DHS said the first two days of the operation (November 16–17) resulted in more than 130 arrests; subsequent updates indicated that 44 of those detained had known criminal histories (about 32%), with offenses that DHS listed as including DUI, assault and weapons‑related charges. Reuters, the Washington Post, WFAE and Charlotte television stations reported the initial totals and the 44‑person subset with criminal records, and Axios Charlotte reported DHS later raised the running total above 250 arrests in the first four days.

DHS also asserted on social media that Charlotte has become a hub for human trafficking and that criminal networks exploit the region’s highways and geography. Those characterizations reflect DHS’s public messaging; they have not been independently quantified in agency data released about the Charlotte operation.

Context from Cooper’s tenure: North Carolina’s Department of Public Safety agreed in February 2021 to a court settlement in NAACP v. Cooper that accelerated the early reentry or release of at least 3,500 incarcerated people over six months to address COVID‑19 risks in prisons. Cooper also vetoed legislation related to ICE cooperation in 2019 and 2022, and again in 2024; the General Assembly later overrode the 2024 veto and enacted a law requiring sheriffs to cooperate with ICE detainers.

Reaction in North Carolina has split along party lines. Republican leaders — including Senate candidate Michael Whatley and legislative leadership — praised the DHS action and linked it to what they describe as years of non‑cooperation with ICE under Democratic officials. Local and state Democratic officials, including Gov. Josh Stein and Charlotte Mayor Vi Lyles, criticized alleged profiling and urged that constitutional rights be protected as federal operations continue.

What people are saying

Discussions on X largely feature conservative users and Republican accounts sharing the Daily Wire article, criticizing Roy Cooper as a 'sanctuary politician' for refusing ICE detainers and allowing criminal illegal aliens to remain free. They support DHS's Operation Charlotte's Web, highlighting over 130 arrests and specific cases like a child sex predator. Public figures like Michael Whatley welcome the federal action as a response to Cooper's failed leadership. A minority express skepticism about the operation's tactics, viewing it as fear generation rather than safety enhancement.

Related Articles

Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz and Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey at press conference protesting end of federal immigration operation after deadly shootings.
Image generated by AI

Minnesota Democrats push back on federal immigration surge as Minneapolis operation ends after deadly shootings

Reported by AI Image generated by AI Fact checked

Minnesota’s Democratic leaders, including Gov. Tim Walz and Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey, spent weeks trying to contain political and public fallout from a large federal immigration enforcement surge in the Twin Cities after two U.S. citizens were killed in encounters involving federal agents. The operation, known as “Operation Metro Surge,” was later scaled back and then ended after widespread backlash and mounting legal and political pressure.

A coalition of President Donald Trump's allies has formed to pressure the administration into resuming mass deportations of all unauthorized immigrants, not just violent criminals. This push comes amid a reported shift in White House messaging following controversial ICE operations. Meanwhile, Democratic-led cities in Republican states debate how to limit cooperation with federal immigration enforcement.

Reported by AI

Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem faced intense questioning from Republican senators during a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on March 3, 2026. Lawmakers pressed her on a $220 million ad campaign encouraging illegal immigrants to self-deport, potential conflicts in contracts, and her handling of fatal shootings in Minneapolis. The testimony occurred amid a partial government shutdown affecting the Department of Homeland Security.

This website uses cookies

We use cookies for analytics to improve our site. Read our privacy policy for more information.
Decline