Matatu buses operating in Nairobi after strike suspension agreement with government officials shaking hands.
Matatu buses operating in Nairobi after strike suspension agreement with government officials shaking hands.
Image generated by AI

Matatu operators suspend strike for one week

Image generated by AI

The government and transport stakeholders reached an agreement on Tuesday to suspend the matatu strike for one week. This allows for further talks on fuel prices.

The strike that began on Monday, May 18, caused major disruptions to transport across the country. Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen announced the suspension after a meeting at Harambee House in Nairobi.

Matatu owners warned that the strike could resume if the government fails to honour its commitments. Nairobi Governor Johnson Sakaja will serve as guarantor for the talks.

Super Metro has pledged to review fares downwards following the Ksh10 reduction in diesel prices per litre. Negotiations are set to continue until May 26.

What people are saying

Initial reactions on X express relief for commuters from the matatu strike suspension, while some users voice skepticism over unchanged fuel prices, persistent high fares, and questions about possible incentives behind the one-week pause for talks.

Related Articles

Violent protests in Kenya with injured people and Interior CS Murkomen speaking to the press.
Image generated by AI

Murkomen blames politicians for fuel protest violence and deaths

Reported by AI Image generated by AI

Interior CS Kipchumba Murkomen said four people died and at least 30 others were injured during Monday's anti-fuel protests.

Public service vehicle operators in Kenya have raised fares by 50 per cent following a sharp increase in fuel prices. They also called for a nationwide strike starting Monday.

Reported by AI

Kenyan transport stakeholders have demanded that the government cap diesel prices at Ksh140 and petrol at Ksh150 per litre, reinstate fuel subsidies amid recent price hikes. The Transport Sector Forum, led by the Motorist Association of Kenya (MAK), issued the ultimatum after an emergency meeting in Nairobi today, warning of mass action if ignored.

Thousands of students heading home for April holidays have been stranded nationwide due to a crackdown on public service vehicles by authorities. The Motorists Association of Kenya (MAK) says the operation has caused a shortage of vehicles and fare hikes. The situation exposes young travellers to risks.

Reported by AI

Kenya's government plans to use a Sh17 billion subsidy to protect citizens from fuel price increases over the next 60 days if Middle East conflicts extend beyond May and June. Finance Minister John Mbadi disclosed these plans to MPs, including potential VAT adjustments.

Following their announcement earlier this week, transport groups Manibela and Piston launched a three-day strike on April 15 protesting the government's limited service contracting program. Leaders criticized its narrow scope, while officials prepared aid including free rides, a P5-billion budget, and fuel discounts for affected commuters.

Reported by AI

Manibela launched another series of strikes amid fuel price hikes, while the United National Public Transport of the Philippines declined to join. UNPTP called for dialogue over conflict, as Manibela and Piston pressed on with protests. Police bolstered security to safeguard non-striking drivers.

 

 

 

This website uses cookies

We use cookies for analytics to improve our site. Read our privacy policy for more information.
Decline