Senator Andy Kim criticizes deprioritization of Korean Peninsula

Korean American Senator Andy Kim expressed concerns over the new U.S. national security strategy's deprioritization of the Korean Peninsula. He criticized the document as an effort to abandon American global leadership. The White House released the strategy last week, omitting a U.S. commitment to North Korea's denuclearization.

At a press conference in Washington on December 11, 2025, Senator Andy Kim (D-NJ) criticized the National Security Strategy (NSS) released by the White House last week. "Certainly, I am concerned about its deprioritization when it comes to the Korean Peninsula," he said, noting that the strategy is "out of line" with what is important for U.S. national security.

He pointed out that the strategy refuses to call Russia a threat and address other global problems, arguing it would lead America and its allies "down a very dangerous path." "Basically, what it does is try to reduce America from a global power to a regional power," he said. "I think that that's absolutely the wrong direction for the United States."

The NSS outlines priorities of the Trump administration, including reasserting American influence in the Western Hemisphere, deterring conflict over Taiwan, and ensuring "burden-sharing" and "burden-shifting" with allies. On concerns about a potential troop drawdown in South Korea, Kim referenced the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) for fiscal year 2026, which includes a provision restricting unilateral reductions in U.S. Forces Korea (USFK) personnel.

The U.S. House of Representatives passed the NDAA on Wednesday by a 312-112 vote, sending it to the Senate where bipartisan support is expected. It will become law after Senate approval and Trump's signature. "I am proud that steps have been taken, hopefully through this NDAA, that will limit this administration's ability to reduce troops on the Korean Peninsula unilaterally," he said, stressing that troop reductions should always be consulted with South Korea. "That's the point of being strategic allies and I feel strongly about this."

He added that any effort to reduce troop levels without partnership with South Koreans and Congress would face strong opposition. Recent joint U.S.-South Korea documents omitted language committing to maintaining the current 28,500-strong USFK, leaving open possibilities for cuts in future adjustments. The press conference marked one year since Kim became the first Korean American senator. He has a distinguished foreign policy background, serving at the White House National Security Council, the Pentagon, the State Department, and as a civilian adviser to Generals David Petraeus and John Allen in Afghanistan.

Related Articles

Pentagon official at press briefing declining comment on U.S. troop levels in South Korea, with flags and military map in background.
Image generated by AI

Pentagon declines comment on USFK troop cut, reaffirms commitment to South Korea

Reported by AI Image generated by AI

A Pentagon official declined to comment on potential cuts to the 28,500-strong U.S. Forces Korea amid renewed concerns. The response followed U.S. President Donald Trump's announcement reviewing troop reductions in Germany. South Korea's defense ministry stated no such discussions are underway between Seoul and Washington.

President Lee Jae-myung met with six U.S. lawmakers from the Congressional Study Group on Korea in Seoul on April 2 and reaffirmed his commitment to regaining wartime operational control from Washington. He stated that along with increasing defense spending, South Korea aims to reduce the U.S. burden and safeguard peace on the Korean Peninsula with its own capabilities. The remarks follow criticism from former President Donald Trump.

Reported by AI

US and Israeli strikes on Iran underscore America's stance on North Korea's nuclear program, signaling to Pyongyang that nuclear weapons may not guarantee security. Under Secretary of Defense for Policy Elbridge Colby stated the Trump administration is 'well aware' of the issue. Experts analyze the event as making decapitation threats more real for North Korea.

A senior Pentagon official touted US military redeployment flexibility as a 'tremendous strength' in a congressional hearing, addressing concerns over shifting THAAD assets from South Korea to the Middle East—following Seoul's expressed regrets earlier this month.

Reported by AI

South Korea's ambassador to the US stated that Seoul is closely monitoring possibilities for renewed US-North Korea dialogue during President Donald Trump's upcoming China visit, considering global factors like ongoing wars and alliances.

This website uses cookies

We use cookies for analytics to improve our site. Read our privacy policy for more information.
Decline