Nairobi governor Sakaja dismisses hiding claims after police raid attempt

Nairobi Governor Johnson Sakaja has dismissed claims that he went into hiding to evade arrest after police surrounded City Hall on Monday evening. Speaking on Tuesday after appearing before the Senate, he said he had left his office before the 7pm raid and was following a Council of Governors resolution. The Council of Governors condemned the attempted arrest and demanded withdrawal of warrants.

Nairobi Governor Johnson Sakaja spoke on Tuesday, March 31, after presenting himself to the Senate hours after police attempted to arrest him at City Hall on Monday evening, March 30. Police had surrounded the offices to arrest him for failing to appear before the Senate County Public Accounts Committee (CPAC), chaired by Homa Bay Senator Moses Kajwang'.

"Who is in the office at 7 pm? They were looking for me, yet I am here at the Senate as required. I have no problem with the Senate. There is just an issue that needs to be resolved. I have nothing to run away from," Sakaja insisted.

Sakaja said he had been at his office all day and left after working hours. He was following a Council of Governors (CoG) resolution to snub CPAC summons until institutional issues are resolved. CoG, led by chair Ahmed Abdullahi, condemned the attempted arrest and urged Inspector General of Police Douglas Kanja to withdraw warrants against Sakaja and Samburu Governor Jonathan Lelit.

"We demand the immediate withdrawal of the alleged warrants of arrest or any coercive measures against governors, pending an impartial determination," Abdullahi stated. The governors said they remain ready to appear once claims of intimidation by certain senators are addressed.

Relaterede artikler

Illustration of Raphael Tuju being detained by police outside his Karen home after resurfacing and holding a press conference.
Billede genereret af AI

Raphael Tuju detained after resurfacing in Karen

Rapporteret af AI Billede genereret af AI

Former Cabinet Secretary Raphael Tuju resurfaced at his Karen home on Monday and recounted his 36-hour ordeal, but was detained by police shortly after a press conference. His lawyer Ndegwa Njiru and Wiper leader Kalonzo Musyoka criticised the manner of his arrest. DCI head Amin Mohamed stated that Tuju had been at his home throughout and his family denied police access.

The Senate County Public Accounts Committee has ordered Inspector General of Police Douglas Kanja to produce Nairobi Governor Johnson Sakaja before it on Monday, March 30. Failure to do so could result in a resolution finding Sakaja unfit to hold public office.

Rapporteret af AI

Senate Speaker Amason Kingi ordered the immediate arrest of Samburu Governor Lati Lelelit after he was spotted inside Parliament buildings despite an active arrest warrant. The directive came during a Senate session at around 3:25pm on April 1, 2026. The order escalates a standoff between senators and governors over audit summons.

Kenya's High Court granted former Cabinet Secretary Raphael Tuju a KSh200,000 anticipatory bond on March 24, 2026, preventing police arrest during investigations into claims he staged his own abduction. This follows his March 23 detention after resurfacing from a 36-hour disappearance, during which his health deteriorated, leading to ICU admission.

Rapporteret af AI

Homa Bay County Deputy Governor Oyugi Magwanga has resigned from his position, ending months of speculation over his political rift with Governor Gladys Wanga. The fallout began late last year and escalated from administrative disagreements to broader political differences. This move is expected to reshape county leadership ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Opposition leaders have claimed the government has captured key economic sectors, urging Kenyans to oust the Kenya Kwanza administration in upcoming elections. The statements were made during a multi-denominational church service in Gatanga, Murang’a County.

Rapporteret af AI

Principal Secretary in the Ministry of Interior, Dr Raymond Omollo, visited Kisumu yesterday, issuing stern warnings to political gangs planning to disrupt a Linda Mwananchi meeting. He promised tough action against paid thugs inciting violence in Nyanza. The ODM-affiliated group's rally, led by James Orengo, Edwin Sifuna and Babu Owino, is scheduled for April 26.

 

 

 

Dette websted bruger cookies

Vi bruger cookies til analyse for at forbedre vores side. Læs vores privatlivspolitik for mere information.
Afvis