South Korea expects LNG price volatility from Qatar supply suspension

South Korean officials warned of increased LNG price volatility after Qatar reportedly declared force majeure on its long-term supply contract with the country, though supply impacts will be limited. Deputy Minister Yang Ghi-wuk said shipments from Qatar have already been excluded from this year's supply calculations, ensuring sufficiency. A Cheong Wa Dae official confirmed stable supplies from non-Middle Eastern routes.

SEOUL, March 25 (Yonhap) -- South Korean officials said Wednesday the country may face heightened liquefied natural gas (LNG) price volatility after Qatar reportedly declared force majeure on its long-term supply contract with Seoul, though supply disruptions will be limited. “We have already excluded (LNG) shipments from Qatar from our calculation for this year's (LNG supplies),” Yang Ghi-wuk, deputy minister for trade, industry and resource security, said during a daily briefing on resource supplies amid the Mideast crisis. He stressed that the nation has sufficient LNG to last through the year without Qatar shipments. The government anticipated the move and is securing alternatives, though no official confirmation has been received from Qatar. A Cheong Wa Dae official later confirmed “stable supply of LNG,” noting that routes outside the Middle East “remain stable.” “Even if LNG supply from Qatar is suspended, we can ensure stable supply until the year's end, as imports from non-Middle Eastern regions are proceeding smoothly,” the official said. Officials noted potential upward pressure on electricity rates from price swings and are coordinating with the climate ministry, which announced Tuesday plans to cut LNG use by boosting coal and nuclear generation. Yang's comments followed reports by Reuters and Al Jazeera that QatarEnergy invoked force majeure on contracts with South Korea, China, Italy, and Belgium due to facility damage from last week's missile attacks in the U.S.- and Israel-led war against Iran. The government is monitoring other goods like engine oil, paints, and garbage bags. On Russian oil, Seoul confirmed with Washington that imports are allowed via U.S. dollar, Chinese yuan, Russian ruble, and UAE dirham, with temporary U.S. waivers for crude at sea and no secondary sanctions. Uncertainties persist on quality and timing, making Russian naphtha imports more feasible. Naphtha, mainly from the Middle East, has been designated an economic security item, with export curbs planned this week.

Relaterede artikler

Damaged Ras Laffan LNG facilities in Qatar after Iranian attack, with QatarEnergy CEO addressing the media amid smoke and wreckage.
Billede genereret af AI

QatarEnergy eyes force majeure on LNG contracts after Iran attack damage

Rapporteret af AI Billede genereret af AI

Following Iran's attack on Qatar's Ras Laffan LNG facilities, QatarEnergy CEO Saad al-Kaabi warned of declaring force majeure on long-term contracts, including those with South Korea's KOGAS, as repairs to damaged production trains could take three to five years, sidelining 17% of export capacity. South Korean officials downplayed supply risks due to alternatives.

QatarEnergy has declared force majeure on long-term LNG supply contracts with customers in South Korea, China, Italy, and Belgium, following missile damage to its Ras Laffan facilities last week amid the U.S.-Israeli war against Iran. The attacks, detailed in prior reporting, impacted 17% of Qatar's LNG exports, with repairs expected to take three to five years.

Rapporteret af AI

Amid U.S. and Israeli strikes on Iran that killed Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, the Korean government stated that oil and gas supplies remain stable for now. Emergency meetings confirmed reserves of several months' worth of oil and gas exceeding mandatory levels. However, preparations are underway for potential risks from the Strait of Hormuz closure, including alternative routes and support measures.

Escalation of conflict between Iran, the United States, and Israel has led Iran to order the closure of the Strait of Hormuz, halting tanker traffic and driving global oil prices above US$80 per barrel. The effects extend to Europe, which is now reconsidering plans to end Russian gas imports, while Indonesia pushes for de-escalation via the D-8 organization and assures stable fuel supplies.

Rapporteret af AI

Two weeks into Iran's blockade of the Strait of Hormuz, oil prices have surged above $100 a barrel and natural gas costs have risen, accelerating adoption of renewable energy and electric vehicles, analysts say. Asia, the primary recipient of fuels through the strait, faces acute vulnerability.

The office of Minister Delegate for Industry Sébastien Martin stated no supply disruptions linked to the Middle East war have been observed in France, following a meeting with economic actors. Authorities urge vigilance amid tensions on raw material and energy prices. European gas prices surged over 24% after an Iranian attack on Qatar's Ras Laffan site.

Rapporteret af AI

As the U.S.-Israel Operation Epic Fury against Iran's leadership expands—with Iranian retaliation, Hezbollah, and Houthi involvement—the conflict's fallout intensifies for South Korea. Stocks plunged further Wednesday, oil prices rose amid Strait of Hormuz threats, and policymakers urge preparations for prolonged instability, building on prior evacuations and stabilization measures.

 

 

 

Dette websted bruger cookies

Vi bruger cookies til analyse for at forbedre vores side. Læs vores privatlivspolitik for mere information.
Afvis