Jan. 6 participants file $18 million injury lawsuit in Florida

A group of participants in the January 6, 2021, Capitol riot has filed a class action lawsuit in Florida seeking $18 million from the federal government for alleged injuries. The suit, led by former Proud Boys member Alan E. Fischer, accuses Capitol Police and D.C. Metropolitan Police of using excessive force without warning. It comes after President Donald Trump pardoned around 1,500 rioters last year.

Alan E. Fischer, who faced felony charges for pushing against officers and throwing objects at police during the riot, leads the lawsuit alongside Patrick and Marie Sullivan. The plaintiffs claim the crowd was mostly peaceful until police began shooting. The case was filed in the U.S. Middle District of Florida, where U.S. District Judge Paul Byron, an Obama appointee, has been assigned to preside over it. Fischer previously attempted a similar suit in Washington, D.C., but it failed after his pardon last year freed him from trial on those charges. The suit alleges that officers from the U.S. Capitol Police and the Metropolitan Police Department violated D.C. law by failing to warn protesters before using force and exposing them to unreasonable risks. Dennis Fan, a former DOJ prosecutor and Columbia Law School professor, noted that police actions in crowd control involve discretion, with no fixed playbook for defending the Capitol amid assaults. Harry Dunn, a former Capitol Police officer who testified to Congress, said rioters initiated the violence that day. The events led to injuries for 140 officers, the death of Officer Brian Sicknick from a stroke after being pepper-sprayed, and at least one other officer's suicide. Over 725 people were arrested, with nearly 230 charged for assaulting law enforcement. The Justice Department has settled related claims before, paying $5 million to the family of Ashli Babbitt, who was shot while trying to breach a barricade, and $1.25 million to Michael Flynn over a prior prosecution.

Verwandte Artikel

Two police officers filing a lawsuit against the Trump administration regarding a January 6 compensation fund in a courtroom setting.
Bild generiert von KI

Officers sue Trump administration to block January 6 compensation fund

Von KI berichtet Bild generiert von KI

Two police officers who defended the Capitol on January 6, 2021, have filed a lawsuit against President Donald Trump and top officials to block a new compensation fund created by the administration.

Supporters of former President Donald Trump who joined the 2021 Capitol attack are celebrating a new federal compensation fund. The fund forms part of a larger settlement and draws mixed reactions from potential recipients and critics alike.

Von KI berichtet

A federal jury in Texas convicted eight defendants on Friday of providing material support to terrorists for their roles in a July 4, 2025, attack on the Prairieland ICE detention center in Alvarado. The incident involved fireworks, vandalism, and gunfire that injured a police officer. Prosecutors described the event as a premeditated terror attack inspired by antifa ideology.

Manhattan prosecutors declined to pursue an assault charge against Gusmane Coulibaly, 27, who was arrested after NYPD officers were pelted with snowballs in Washington Square Park. In court, prosecutors said they could not yet prove he caused injuries reported by two officers, and the case is proceeding on obstruction and harassment counts.

Von KI berichtet

Federal prosecutors have charged 31-year-old Cole Tomas Allen with attempting to assassinate President Trump in connection with Saturday's shooting at the White House Correspondents' Dinner. Details from unsealed court documents reveal the suspect's targeting plans, amid praise for Secret Service response and calls for enhanced security.

Diese Website verwendet Cookies

Wir verwenden Cookies für Analysen, um unsere Website zu verbessern. Lesen Sie unsere Datenschutzrichtlinie für weitere Informationen.
Ablehnen