Siaya Governor Orengo demands security reinstatement from police IG

Siaya Governor James Orengo has demanded an official explanation and the immediate reinstatement of his security detail after it was withdrawn without notice on Tuesday evening.

In a statement issued on May 20, Orengo called on Inspector General of Police Douglas Kanja and Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen to provide written details on the grounds and authority behind the withdrawal. He also requested that officers be restored at once to all his stations, including his Nairobi residence.

Orengo described the move as a political witch-hunt. He noted that no warning or formal communication had been given and that no replacement officers had been assigned. Public servants in political office are entitled to state security under the constitution, he said.

The governor has been outspoken on the Orange Democratic Movement leadership and has organised protests against fuel tax increases. Copies of his letter were sent to Council of Governors chair Ahmed Abdullahi and Siaya County Police Commander Lucy Kananu. Neither Kanja nor Murkomen had responded by the time of publication.

Labaran da ke da alaƙa

Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen has directed Inspector General Douglas Kanja to swiftly arrest goons allegedly linked to opposition leaders. He issued the order at the burial of Mitchelle Jelimo Kemboi in Nakuru County. Murkomen accused the opposition of hiring thugs to disrupt public events and undermine order.

An Ruwaito ta hanyar AI

Nairobi Governor Johnson Sakaja has dismissed claims that he went into hiding to evade arrest after police surrounded City Hall on Monday evening. Speaking on Tuesday after appearing before the Senate, he said he had left his office before the 7pm raid and was following a Council of Governors resolution. The Council of Governors condemned the attempted arrest and demanded withdrawal of warrants.

The Orange Democratic Movement (ODM) has defended Energy CS Opiyo Wandayi and Trade CS Lee Kinyanjui against demands for their resignation following the KSh4.8 billion substandard fuel scandal, which led to arrests of senior officials earlier in the week. Party leader Oburu Odinga warned that public attacks could derail ongoing investigations.

An Ruwaito ta hanyar AI

Siaya Governor James Orengo faces the risk of losing his seat in the 2027 elections after joining the Linda Mwananchi faction opposing ODM's alliance with UDA. Dr Oburu Oginga, leader of another ODM faction, has announced support for Nicholas Gumbo to challenge for the governorship. The situation mirrors Orengo's 2002 fallout that led to his defeat.

Deputy President Kithure Kindiki has issued a firm two-week timeline for the government's crackdown on banditry in Nyambene, Meru County. He vowed to deploy all security resources to restore order in the area.

Wannan shafin yana amfani da cookies

Muna amfani da cookies don nazari don inganta shafin mu. Karanta manufar sirri mu don ƙarin bayani.
Ƙi