Strömmer rejects prison for 12-year-olds amid Oxie murder case

Justice Minister Gunnar Strömmer has rejected lowering the age of criminal responsibility to 12 following the suspected murder of a 21-year-old man in Oxie near Malmö by a 12-year-old boy. He stresses a 'lower limit' exists and calls for stronger social services interventions.

In the wake of Saturday's fatal shooting in Oxie—where a 12-year-old boy is suspected of killing a 21-year-old man and fleeing toward Helsingborg—Strömmer (M) held a press conference on Wednesday after meetings with party criminal policy spokespersons.

The government proposes prison eligibility for 13-year-olds in serious cases but rules out 12. "It is not relevant," Strömmer said. "There is some kind of lower limit."

He expressed no surprise at the suspect's age, noting around 50 youths under 15 involved in murders or plots this year. Debate centers on whether small municipalities' social services can handle such cases or if criminal care should intervene for 13–14-year-olds. "We see a large group of children who today are not handled well," he said.

Police have held crisis meetings, highlighting social services' lack of tools for such young serious offenders. Strömmer agrees: "No thinking or feeling person wants children locked up." Yet, he notes some commit grave crimes like murders, shootings, and explosions, posing risks.

Reforms include a new social services law, broken secrecy barriers, tougher parental measures, and LVU review. Despite protests from 168 prosecutors and judges, Strömmer welcomes debate on this 'biggest unsolved problem' but deems alternatives insufficient.

Authorities continue searching for additional perpetrators or instigators.

Labaran da ke da alaƙa

Dramatic illustration of a 15-year-old girl detained by police at a Swedish gang crime scene in Rosengård, evoking double murder investigation.
Hoton da AI ya samar

15-year-old girl detained, denies double murders in Vårby and Rosengård; criminologist on girls in gang crime

An Ruwaito ta hanyar AI Hoton da AI ya samar

A 15-year-old girl was detained Friday on suspicion of double murder after shootings in Vårby near Stockholm on Monday and Rosengård, Malmö, on Wednesday—events linked to organized crime. She denies the charges. Expert Camila Salazar Atías warns girls often evade radar as perpetrators in criminal networks, citing rising convictions among teen girls.

The government has proposed lowering the age of criminal responsibility to 13 despite prior criticism, but the Council on Legislation now strongly opposes the plan. According to the council, it risks increasing youth crime rather than reducing it and conflicts with the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child. Justice Minister Gunnar Strömmer defends the need for reform but promises to review the statement.

An Ruwaito ta hanyar AI

In its review of the Swedish government's January proposal to toughen youth criminal justice—including lowering the age of criminal responsibility to 13 and extending child detention—the Council on Legislation strongly criticizes the detention extension from three to five months as incompatible with the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child. It also flags procedural flaws in the bill's preparation.

A 21-year-old man has been sentenced to life imprisonment for murdering three young men in a hair salon in Uppsala last year. The verdict was delivered by Uppsala District Court on Tuesday.

An Ruwaito ta hanyar AI

The court of appeal has upheld the district court's sentence of 18 years in prison for the 31-year-old man convicted of murdering former policeman Tore Hedman in Borlänge. Hedman was beaten to death with a hammer in May, and the man was arrested the same day. Both sides appealed the verdict, but the appeal court has confirmed the punishment.

Sweden's Migration Minister Johan Forssell (M) states that a legislative council referral on so-called teenage deportations will be presented by May at the latest. The proposal will allow affected youth to complete high school and apply for other residence permits. Migrationsverket has paused certain deportations since the Tidö parties' agreement in early March.

Wannan shafin yana amfani da cookies

Muna amfani da cookies don nazari don inganta shafin mu. Karanta manufar sirri mu don ƙarin bayani.
Ƙi