Hong Kong court upholds Swedish businessman's rape conviction

Hong Kong's Court of Appeal dismissed the appeal of Swedish businessman Patrik Tobias Ekstrom on Tuesday, upholding his conviction for raping his domestic helper and ordering him back to prison for a seven-year sentence. The incident occurred on October 27, 2022.

Hong Kong's Court of Appeal on Tuesday upheld the conviction of Patrik Tobias Ekstrom, a Swedish national in his late thirties, who was unanimously found guilty by a jury two years ago on one count of rape and one of buggery without consent. He was sentenced to seven years in prison for raping his domestic helper in his bedroom on October 27, 2022, and had been granted bail pending appeal. Ekstrom maintained that the acts were consensual, with the helper entering his bedroom willingly, and denied threatening to kill her if she did not comply. His counsel, Elizabeth Herbert, argued that the trial judge failed to give the jury appropriate directions regarding evidence suggesting Ekstrom had raped another helper in the past. According to the victim's testimony, Ekstrom told her he had previously had sex with the family's former helper and said he had “done such a thing” before and could “get away with it again.” A three-judge panel rejected these arguments, as reported by the South China Morning Post.

Artikel Terkait

Courtroom illustration of a judge delivering a verdict in a teacher conviction case.
Gambar dihasilkan oleh AI

Teacher convicted of sexual molestation of student

Dilaporkan oleh AI Gambar dihasilkan oleh AI

A teacher in Skellefteå municipality has been convicted of sexual molestation against a 12-year-old pupil. The district court issued the ruling on 22 May 2026.

Sweden's Supreme Court has swiftly denied a request for a new trial from the man convicted of murdering former policeman Tore Hedman in Mjälga last May. This final ruling upholds the 18-year prison sentence previously confirmed by the court of appeal.

Dilaporkan oleh AI

The court of appeal has upheld the district court's sentence of 18 years in prison for the 31-year-old man convicted of murdering former policeman Tore Hedman in Borlänge. Hedman was beaten to death with a hammer in May, and the man was arrested the same day. Both sides appealed the verdict, but the appeal court has confirmed the punishment.

A man in his 30s has been detained on suspicion of rape in Paradisparken in Borlänge.

Dilaporkan oleh AI

Justice has been served after 17 years in the 2009 murder of retired IISc professor Purushottam Lal Sachdev and his family in Bengaluru. The Karnataka High Court has sentenced domestic help Suchitra Haldar, her husband Deepak Haldar, and two others to life imprisonment. The court also directed guidelines for background checks on migrant workers.

Lawyer Johan Eriksson has requested to reopen the investigation into the Knutby murder. He seeks to overturn the conviction of babysitter Sara Svensson following Aftonbladet investigations highlighting flaws in the probe. The Chief Public Prosecutor's Office will now assess the request.

Dilaporkan oleh AI

A 21-year-old man has been sentenced to life imprisonment for murdering three young men in a hair salon in Uppsala last year. The verdict was delivered by Uppsala District Court on Tuesday.

Situs web ini menggunakan cookie

Kami menggunakan cookie untuk analisis guna meningkatkan situs kami. Baca kebijakan privasi kami untuk informasi lebih lanjut.
Tolak