China defends WTO's most-favoured nation principle after US and EU challenges

China has submitted a document to the World Trade Organization defending the most-favoured nation principle in response to challenges from the United States and the European Union. Beijing warns that ending non-discrimination in global trade rules could allow powerful countries to dominate smaller ones. The document marks the first such submission from China since the WTO launched a formal self-review in 2022.

China's Ministry of Commerce announced on Thursday that Beijing has submitted a document to the World Trade Organization (WTO), marking the first such submission since the trade body initiated a formal self-review in 2022. The paper states that blatant violations of the most-favoured nation rule are “eroding the foundation of the rules-based multilateral trading system,” warning that they raise the risk of returning to a system that favors powerful countries and marginalizes smaller economies.

The non-discrimination principle has come under mounting pressure, particularly since the United States breached it last year by imposing sweeping tariffs on almost all its trading partners. China's defense of the rule follows submissions from Washington and Brussels calling for it to be revisited.

“China considers the most-favoured nation principle a way to ensure equal treatment and to prevent discriminatory practices,” said Liang Yan, an economics professor at Willamette University in the US. “But the US and EU challenge the most-favoured nation [principle] to reserve more room for discretionary treatments based on national security concerns and de-risking strategies.”

The submission underscores Beijing's support for multilateral trade rules, with keywords including trade surplus, tariffs, and the non-discrimination principle, involving entities such as the Peterson Institute for International Economics and the WTO.

Articoli correlati

Symbolic news image of U.S. trade investigations into 16 economies, featuring Capitol, national flags, factories, and workers.
Immagine generata dall'IA

U.S. Launches Section 301 Investigations into 16 Economies for Unfair Trade Practices Linked to Excess Capacity

Riportato dall'IA Immagine generata dall'IA

The Trump administration has initiated Section 301 investigations into South Korea, China, Japan, the European Union, and 13 other economies over unfair practices tied to structural excess capacity in manufacturing. The probes follow a Supreme Court ruling invalidating prior tariffs and aim to establish permanent measures to protect U.S. jobs. South Korea vows active consultations to safeguard its interests.

China's Ministry of Commerce announced two trade barrier investigations into US practices on Friday, described as reciprocal countermeasures to Washington's two Section 301 probes against China. The probes target US measures disrupting global supply chains and green product trade, potentially breaching WTO rules and bilateral agreements. They are set to conclude within six months, with a possible three-month extension.

Riportato dall'IA

The U.S. Trade Representative's Office said South Korea, Brazil, Singapore, and Costa Rica maintained their self-declared developing country status at the WTO despite pledging to forgo special treatment. The report was released on the eve of a WTO ministerial conference in Yaounde, Cameroon. It reiterated calls for WTO reform toward reciprocity and balance.

The United States has launched Section 301 investigations into alleged unfair trade practices by China and other economies, potentially allowing higher tariffs to be reimposed, but analysts describe it as a 'bluff' to gain leverage for President Trump's expected trip to China. Beijing, accustomed to such tactics, is unlikely to be fazed.

Riportato dall'IA

China's embassy in Colombia responded to the government's 25% tariffs on steel imports from countries without a free trade agreement, denying unfair competition against the local steel industry. It emphasized that Chinese products are of good quality and competitive prices, accounting for less than 0.3% of total imports in 2025. It warned that restrictions would raise costs in other sectors and harm employment.

Questo sito web utilizza i cookie

Utilizziamo i cookie per l'analisi per migliorare il nostro sito. Leggi la nostra politica sulla privacy per ulteriori informazioni.
Rifiuta