Discovery Bay resident files ombudsman complaint over taxi access plan

A Discovery Bay resident has lodged a complaint with Hong Kong's ombudsman over authorities' handling of a proposal to allow unrestricted taxi access to the resort-style seaside community. The plan would revoke existing taxi-prohibited zones, introduce four new taxi ranks, and permit point-to-point drop-off and pickup. Residents say the proposal was advanced without adequate consultation, and a petition to the Transport Department signed by 1,700 people calls for proper public input.

A Discovery Bay resident has filed a complaint with the city's ombudsman regarding authorities' management of a proposal for unrestricted taxi access to the resort-style seaside community on Lantau Island, developed by Hong Kong Resort Company.
Taxis have been limited to the north plaza since 2014, as residents prefer a car-free environment distinct from Hong Kong's urban sprawl. Previous efforts to increase taxi access faced similar opposition.

The latest plan, detailed in a developer's notice dated January 2026 and viewed by the South China Morning Post, would revoke taxi-prohibited zones, add four new taxi ranks in the neighborhood, and allow point-to-point drop-off and pickup services.

Residents told the South China Morning Post that the proposal was pushed forward without adequate public consultation.
A petition to the Transport Department, signed by 1,700 people, demands proper consultation on the plan.

Articoli correlati

Hong Kong lawmakers in session voicing concerns over Huanggang checkpoint parking shortage, with Secretary Tang presenting solutions.
Immagine generata dall'IA

Hong Kong lawmakers concerned over Huanggang checkpoint parking shortage

Riportato dall'IA Immagine generata dall'IA

Hong Kong lawmakers on Friday voiced concerns about the lack of parking at the upgraded Huanggang border crossing, deeming shuttle bus services inconvenient. Secretary for Security Chris Tang Ping-keung said authorities plan to build a nearby car park with shuttle buses to the checkpoint. Lawmakers called for an on-site public car park similar to the one at Heung Yuen Wai crossing.

Hong Kong Resort Company has submitted a proposal to Islands District Council for full taxi access and four new ranks in Discovery Bay, following resident complaints and a petition against inadequate consultation on the plan. The submission argues that current restrictions severely impact residents' lives, citing hundreds of support messages, and proposes AI-monitored ranks at the fire station, kaito pier, golf club and multi-recreation centre.

Riportato dall'IA

Hong Kong taxi leaders and Uber have raised concerns over a planned quota for ride-hailing vehicles, even as authorities pledge to consult stakeholders before finalizing the number.

Hong Kong's Secretary for Development Bernadette Linn Hon-ho said dedicated laws for the Northern Metropolis may speed up some projects by about one year. She revealed the government is preparing to increase the residential component of some sites to appeal to developers. The government unveiled a plan for six subsidiary laws earlier this month to remove bottlenecks in the massive scheme.

Riportato dall'IA

Thousands visited Hong Kong’s East Dam at High Island Reservoir in Sai Kung during the start of the Labour Day 'Golden Week' holiday, continuing the surge seen over Easter. A lawmaker has suggested an entry fee to help maintain the UNESCO Global Geopark amid rising ecotourism popularity.

Hong Kong authorities have proposed mandatory briefings for building renovation projects to increase homeowner participation and curb bid-rigging, in response to a fatal fire in Tai Po. The amendment to the Building Management Ordinance seeks to close legal gaps. Officials highlighted information asymmetry as a key cause of recent disputes.

Riportato dall'IA

An environmental group has called for long-term measures to tackle overtourism in Hong Kong's scenic Sai Kung district after the number of tents at campsites reached more than nine times capacity on the second day of Lunar New Year, though authorities say the situation is “under control”. Greenpeace reported counting 585 tents at Ham Tin Wan and Sai Wan the previous day, exceeding the 50-tent limit at each site.

 

 

 

Questo sito web utilizza i cookie

Utilizziamo i cookie per l'analisi per migliorare il nostro sito. Leggi la nostra politica sulla privacy per ulteriori informazioni.
Rifiuta