Patrick Reed explains LIV Golf departure ahead of Masters

Patrick Reed, former LIV Golf player and past Masters champion, detailed his reasons for leaving the league during a pre-Masters press conference in Augusta, Georgia. He cited a desire for more family time and the adrenaline of traditional tournament golf as key factors. Reed remains suspended from the PGA Tour until late summer but plans to return later this year.

AUGUSTA, Ga. — Patrick Reed made clear his fondness for LIV Golf during Monday's pre-Masters press conference, stating he still roots for his former 4Aces team and captain Dustin Johnson. 'Really, at the end of the day, I really enjoyed all my time over there at LIV,' Reed said. 'It was a blast. Those guys are fun to be around.' Despite this, he chose to depart after his contract ended, entering a limbo period playing the DP World Tour and majors while suspended from the PGA Tour until late summer. The PGA Tour announced on Jan. 28 his plans to return later in 2026, with full membership eyed for 2027. Reed pointed to family priorities and a competitive craving as catalysts for the move. His daughter is 11 and son is 8, and he wanted more time at home. A pivotal moment came during the Dubai Desert Classic, his second DP World Tour event, where contention in the weekend rounds reignited his longing for sequential tee times and leaderboard battles typical of traditional golf. 'I wanted that adrenaline back,' Reed said. Negotiations with LIV for 2026 were ongoing, but after consulting his wife and team, he opted for the PGA Tour to stay closer to family. Strong recent form bolstered his position: two wins and a runner-up in six DP World Tour starts, including T2 in Bahrain and a win in Qatar. He now leads the Race to Dubai with 2,340 points. Reed enters this week's Masters confidently, with five top-12 finishes in his last six starts here, including T3 last year. 'It’s the best test of golf we play all year round,' he said of Augusta National.

Articoli correlati

Brooks Koepka tees off at the Players Championship's 17th hole amid cheering fans welcoming his PGA Tour return.
Immagine generata dall'IA

Brooks Koepka returns to Players Championship after PGA Tour hiatus

Riportato dall'IA Immagine generata dall'IA

Brooks Koepka is competing in the Players Championship for the first time since 2022, marking his fourth event back on the PGA Tour after leaving LIV Golf. The five-time major winner has expressed surprise at the warm reception from fans and players. He returns via the PGA Tour's Returning Member Program, having paid a $5 million fine to charity.

Pat Perez, a former LIV Golf player, has made a strong comeback at the Senior PGA Championship, tying for ninth after two rounds. The 50-year-old opened with a three-under 69 and followed with a 70 at the Concession Golf Club in Bradenton, Florida. He trails co-leaders Scott Hend and Brian Gay by five strokes.

Riportato dall'IA

Jon Rahm said he holds no regrets about joining LIV Golf nearly two and a half years after the move. Speaking ahead of the 2026 PGA Championship, the two-time major winner addressed the uncertain future of the league.

The PGA Championship at Aronimink Golf Club includes 11 players from the LIV Golf league among its 156 competitors. Notable participants are Jon Rahm and Bryson DeChambeau. The event marks the second major of the 2026 season.

Riportato dall'IA

The DP World Tour has reached an agreement with eight LIV Golf players allowing them to compete in conflicting events in 2026, but Jon Rahm has declined the offer. This deal settles their sanctions in exchange for additional tour participation. Rahm's decision leaves his Ryder Cup eligibility in question.

Questo sito web utilizza i cookie

Utilizziamo i cookie per l'analisi per migliorare il nostro sito. Leggi la nostra politica sulla privacy per ulteriori informazioni.
Rifiuta