Florida parents win judgment over funeral home's mishandling of stillborn son's remains

Alicia Richard and Namarcus Crane secured a default summary judgment against Freeman Funeral Home in Pompano Beach after the business allegedly stacked their stillborn son's body under an adult corpse. The parents filed a negligence lawsuit in July following the discovery of inhumane conditions. An evidentiary hearing on damages is set for April 28.

Alicia Richard and Namarcus Crane paid Freeman Funeral Home and Cremation $500 to embalm and handle arrangements for their son Na-mir, who died at birth on April 9, 2025. Over the next two weeks, the funeral home neglected basic care, allowing the fragile body to deteriorate, according to the lawsuit filed in July in Broward County Circuit Court. When a new funeral home retrieved the remains, a representative found Na-mir crushed beneath a deceased adult male over six feet tall and weighing more than 200 pounds, with only a little toe visible, the parents told NBC affiliate WTVJ. Namarcus Crane described the scene: 'Only way he found our son is because he saw a little toe sticking under a grown human male.' The body was unrecognizable and unsuitable for an open casket, their lawyer Jesse O'Hara stated, adding that multiple bodies were stacked in disregard for standards and dignity. Broward County Circuit Judge Michael Robinson granted a default summary judgment in January after the defendants failed to appear. O'Hara said the mishandling deprived the family of grieving rites, causing lasting trauma. Crane told WTVJ, 'We don't have anything to remember him by; it hurt us even more every day waking up. It hurts, can't get it back, very painful.' Richard added, 'It crushed my soul.'

Relaterte artikler

Michael Kendrick and Ashley Johnson, charged in connection with the death of Johnson's disabled son, now face additional indictments including murder and abuse of a corpse. The pair was arrested last July after the boy's remains were found shortly after Kendrick reported him missing. Police say the 7-year-old had been dead for weeks.

Rapportert av AI

A Missouri couple has been charged with multiple counts including second-degree murder after authorities discovered the skeletal remains of their 18-year-old son buried in a shallow grave at their home. Chaun Asbury, 42, and Tamala Asbury, 45, were arrested in March during a search of their property in Piney Township. The investigation also uncovered severe neglect of three other children living in the residence.

Andres Bahamon, 25, is in custody after authorities found human remains on a property in Williston, Florida, during an investigation into his father's disappearance. Police have charged him with tampering with evidence in what they describe as a homicide case.

Rapportert av AI

Karloina Davis and Pierson Davis face murder and child abuse charges after their son Vincent died from caregiver neglect. On August 12, 2024, the mother called 911 claiming the child was beyond help. Authorities found the toddler severely malnourished amid squalid home conditions.

 

 

 

Dette nettstedet bruker informasjonskapsler

Vi bruker informasjonskapsler for analyse for å forbedre nettstedet vårt. Les vår personvernerklæring for mer informasjon.
Avvis