Trump rejects Putin's proposal on Iranian uranium

US President Donald Trump rejected a proposal from Vladimir Putin to transfer Iran's enriched uranium to Russia, according to Axios. The offer, made during a phone call this week, was part of a broader agreement to end the conflict between the United States, Israel, and Iran.

US President Donald Trump turned down an offer from his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin during a phone call this week. According to the news site Axios, the proposal involved transferring Iran's enriched uranium stockpile to Russia as part of a plan to end the war pitting Washington and Tel Aviv against Tehran. Neither the White House nor the Kremlin has commented on this information.

A US official quoted by Axios explained that the idea was not new and had been rejected before. “This isn’t the first time this offer has been made. It hasn’t been accepted. The US position is that we must ensure the supply of uranium,” he stated. He added that Trump remains open to talks, but only for favorable deals: “The president talks to everyone - Xi, Putin, the Europeans - and he’s always ready to make a deal. But it has to be a good deal. The president doesn’t make bad deals.”

This proposal echoes similar initiatives put forward by Moscow during nuclear talks in May, before US-Israeli strikes on Iranian sites in June, and in the weeks leading up to the current conflict. Iran had previously dismissed the transfer idea, favoring dilution of its uranium under the supervision of the International Atomic Energy Agency.

Axios reports that Iran holds about 450 kilograms of uranium enriched to 60%, a stockpile sufficient to produce more than ten nuclear bombs. Neutralizing or capturing this reserve is a key objective for the United States and Israel. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth mentioned several options, including voluntary handover by Tehran, during a press conference on Friday. “They weren’t willing to do it during the negotiations. I’ll never tell this group or the world what we’re prepared to do or how far we’re prepared to go, but we have options, that’s for sure,” he said. Discussions on sending special forces to secure the nuclear arsenal have also been reported. Trump, speaking to Fox News Radio, downplayed the urgency: “We’re not focusing on that right now, but that could change at some point.”

Relaterte artikler

Illustration of President Trump voicing dissatisfaction with Iran nuclear talks while U.S. military options loom in the background.
Bilde generert av AI

Trump says he is ‘not happy’ with Iran nuclear talks, keeps military option on the table

Rapportert av AI Bilde generert av AI Faktasjekket

President Donald Trump said Friday he was dissatisfied with the state of nuclear negotiations with Iran, while signaling he still prefers a diplomatic outcome even as the U.S. reinforces its military posture in the region. Oman, which has been mediating the talks, urged Washington to give negotiators time to resolve remaining issues, and the U.N. warned that heightened military activity is raising risks.

The United States and Iran are discussing a proposed framework to end their conflict and reopen the Strait of Hormuz. President Donald Trump presented a 14-point plan for 30 days of negotiations, though Iranian officials have not yet accepted it.

Rapportert av AI

United States President Donald Trump described Iran's conditions to end the Middle East conflict as totally unacceptable. Iran's response was conveyed through a Pakistani mediator on Sunday.

President Donald Trump stated in recent Fox News interviews that the U.S. war against Iran continues primarily for public relations purposes and personal reassurance, even as enriched uranium remains buried under rubble from last June's strikes.

Rapportert av AI

Iran has delivered a 14-point response to a U.S. proposal aimed at ending the conflict that started with U.S. and Israeli attacks on February 28. The response demands resolution within 30 days and includes calls for sanctions relief and U.S. force withdrawals. President Trump stated he is reviewing the document.

President Donald Trump warned on Monday that the United States would target every bridge and power plant in Iran by Tuesday night unless a deal is reached to open the Strait of Hormuz. During a White House press conference, he detailed a successful rescue mission for two downed U.S. airmen while evading questions on potential war crimes. Iran rejected a proposed ceasefire amid ongoing diplomatic efforts by regional mediators.

Rapportert av AI

US President Donald Trump stated on Friday in a letter to Congress that hostilities against Iran are «over». The announcement comes on the 60-day deadline for congressional authorization. Iran submitted a new conflict resolution proposal, but Trump said he was «not satisfied».

Dette nettstedet bruker informasjonskapsler

Vi bruker informasjonskapsler for analyse for å forbedre nettstedet vårt. Les vår personvernerklæring for mer informasjon.
Avvis