Lawyer requests reopening of Knutby murder case

Lawyer Johan Eriksson has requested to reopen the investigation into the Knutby murder. He seeks to overturn the conviction of babysitter Sara Svensson following Aftonbladet investigations highlighting flaws in the probe. The Chief Public Prosecutor's Office will now assess the request.

On 10 January 2004, pastor Helge Fossmo's wife was found murdered in their home in Knutby outside Uppsala. A 30-year-old man was shot in the neighboring house, and Fossmo was later sentenced to life imprisonment for incitement to murder and attempted murder. Babysitter Sara Svensson received forensic psychiatric care for carrying out the acts. The incident drew attention to the Philadelphian congregation in Knutby. Fossmo was conditionally released in January 2022, and Svensson in 2011. On 25 November 2025, Aftonbladet published an investigation questioning the probe with details on additional shots, contradictory shot angles, and blood traces. Eriksson then announced he would request reopening from the Chief Public Prosecutor's Office. Earlier this week, a follow-up pointed to a possible alternative perpetrator linked to the sect, arrested at the scene with 41 gunshot residue particles. On Friday morning, 20 March 2026, Eriksson confirmed submitting the request. Prosecutor Elin Blank, who led the 2004 investigation, previously rejected reopening, stating the information was not new. Deputy Chief Prosecutor Mats Svensson at the Chief Public Prosecutor's Office will now review it: “I will go through the request and assess whether it is likely that a supplementary investigation of the cited material provides grounds for reopening,” he told SVT. No timeline for a decision has been given.

Artigos relacionados

Illustration of Brattås farm double murder crime scene from 2005 with DNA arrest overlay.
Imagem gerada por IA

Man held for Brattås double murder from 2005

Reportado por IA Imagem gerada por IA

A man in his mid-40s has been remanded in custody on probable cause for the unsolved double murder at a farm in Brattås outside Härnösand in the summer of 2005. The arrest was enabled by DNA-based genealogy research following a new law change last year. Prosecutor Hanna Flordal confirms the man's DNA matches the trace from the crime scene.

A preliminary investigation into a suspected murder in Borlänge has been dropped. The incident occurred in December 2025 when a man in his forties was found dead in Domnarvet. The prosecutor cites self-defense as the reason.

Reportado por IA

Sweden's Supreme Court has swiftly denied a request for a new trial from the man convicted of murdering former policeman Tore Hedman in Mjälga last May. This final ruling upholds the 18-year prison sentence previously confirmed by the court of appeal.

A 15-year-old girl is suspected of murdering a 17-year-old in Huddinge south of Stockholm on Monday and a 15-year-old in Malmö's Rosengård on Wednesday. Police believe she acted on orders from the Foxtrot network in gang rivalries. A 17-year-old boy and a 35-year-old man are also detained.

Reportado por IA

A relative of the 15-year-old boy shot dead in Rosengård, Malmö, on March 25 has been remanded in custody on suspicion of incitement to murder. Police believe he was planning a revenge attack amid fears of escalating gang violence.

On April 29, 2025, a brutal triple murder occurred at a hair salon in Uppsala, where three young people aged 15, 16, and 20 were executed. Today, one year later, the anniversary is marked amid Valborg preparations. Uppsala municipality offers support to those affected and their relatives.

terça-feira, 12 de maio de 2026, 15:19h

21-year-old sentenced to life for Uppsala triple murder

terça-feira, 05 de maio de 2026, 16:45h

Örebro says farewell to murdered footballer Hugo Mosshagen

quarta-feira, 08 de abril de 2026, 10:38h

Danderyd dismemberment murder trial concludes

sexta-feira, 27 de março de 2026, 09:21h

Police investigate daytime shootings in Stockholm

quinta-feira, 26 de março de 2026, 15:42h

Teen son of former SD politicians indicted for two murder attempts

domingo, 22 de março de 2026, 23:04h

Mother remanded again after child's death in Gothenburg fire

quarta-feira, 11 de março de 2026, 15:33h

Couple charged with 29-year-old's mother's murder in Danderyd

quarta-feira, 04 de março de 2026, 01:01h

Court of appeal upholds 18-year sentence for murder of Tore Hedman

terça-feira, 24 de fevereiro de 2026, 20:19h

Convicted murderer dies in custody from accident

quarta-feira, 18 de fevereiro de 2026, 21:28h

Mother erupts in anger during Uppsala triple murder trial

Este site usa cookies

Usamos cookies para análise para melhorar nosso site. Leia nossa política de privacidade para mais informações.
Recusar