Aspiring Hong Kong taxi drivers' monthly tests up 30% after simplification

The average number of aspiring Hong Kong taxi drivers taking a key industry test each month has risen nearly 30 per cent to around 1,800 following the launch of a simplified assessment last year, transport minister Mable Chan has said. She also announced that the government is expanding dedicated meeting spaces for the city's five premium taxi fleets at cultural and business landmarks.

The average number of aspiring Hong Kong taxi drivers taking a crucial industry test each month has increased by nearly 30 per cent following the launch of a simplified version of the assessment last year, Secretary for Transport and Logistics Mable Chan has said.

Chan made the remarks in a social media post on Saturday. “We streamlined the written test arrangements for taxi drivers last year. The average monthly number of candidates has now risen to around 1,800, representing an increase of nearly 30 per cent compared with previous figures,” she wrote. “This continues to inject fresh impetus into the industry, attracting more new entrants. Looking ahead to the new year, we will persist in advancing the pace of reform within the taxi sector.”

Earlier, Chan explained that the new test had simplified and reduced questions about locations and routes, owing to the availability of navigation technology that assists drivers in quickly finding destinations and planning more efficient routes.

The transport chief also announced that more dedicated spots for app-using passengers of premium fleet taxis to meet would be provided outside the Palace Museum, the M+ museum, the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre, and the airport.

These measures aim to bolster the taxi industry amid ongoing efforts to address driver shortages.

Связанные статьи

Hong Kong lawmakers in session voicing concerns over Huanggang checkpoint parking shortage, with Secretary Tang presenting solutions.
Изображение, созданное ИИ

Hong Kong lawmakers concerned over Huanggang checkpoint parking shortage

Сообщено ИИ Изображение, созданное ИИ

Hong Kong lawmakers on Friday voiced concerns about the lack of parking at the upgraded Huanggang border crossing, deeming shuttle bus services inconvenient. Secretary for Security Chris Tang Ping-keung said authorities plan to build a nearby car park with shuttle buses to the checkpoint. Lawmakers called for an on-site public car park similar to the one at Heung Yuen Wai crossing.

Hong Kong taxi leaders and Uber have raised concerns over a planned quota for ride-hailing vehicles, even as authorities pledge to consult stakeholders before finalizing the number.

Сообщено ИИ

Hong Kong taxi drivers have signed up en masse for digital payment systems as new rules mandate at least two options. AlipayHK reports availability to 47,000 drivers, while WeChat Pay HK says more than 40,000 have its system. The move aids mainland visitors reliant on e-wallets ahead of Easter and Ching Ming holidays.

Hong Kong is preparing to open its reconfigured Terminal 2 on May 27 with new technologies to ease passenger departures. Transport secretary Mable Chan called the launch a milestone for the city’s aviation hub status.

Сообщено ИИ

Authorities in Hong Kong have ordered KMB, the city's largest bus operator, to investigate glitches in its fare rebate machines that gave passengers free rides on the launch day of a revised HK$2 transport subsidy scheme. Welfare Secretary Chris Sun Yuk-han stressed that the government's system functioned correctly, with any extra costs to be borne by KMB. The Transport Department demanded an immediate probe and a full report.

Rising airline fuel surcharges and the Middle East conflict are deterring Hong Kong residents from long-haul travel, favoring safe and affordable high-speed rail trips to mainland China. Traveler Mr Lau and his wife took a train to neighboring Guangzhou for a three-day trip costing about HK$500. Hong Kong Tourism Association executive director Timothy Chui Ting-pong said the changes have encouraged visits to cross-border destinations.

Сообщено ИИ

A Discovery Bay resident has lodged a complaint with Hong Kong's ombudsman over authorities' handling of a proposal to allow unrestricted taxi access to the resort-style seaside community. The plan would revoke existing taxi-prohibited zones, introduce four new taxi ranks, and permit point-to-point drop-off and pickup. Residents say the proposal was advanced without adequate consultation, and a petition to the Transport Department signed by 1,700 people calls for proper public input.

 

 

 

Этот сайт использует куки

Мы используем куки для анализа, чтобы улучшить наш сайт. Прочитайте нашу политику конфиденциальности для дополнительной информации.
Отклонить