David Goffin opens up on retirement after Monte Carlo defeat

David Goffin reflected emotionally on his retirement decision following a loss at the Monte Carlo Masters. The 35-year-old Belgian fell to Emilio Nava in a three-set battle, marking his final appearance at the tournament. Goffin shared insights into his fading motivation and the demands of professional tennis.

David Goffin battled past Ignacio Buse before losing 3-6, 7-6 (8-6), 6-7 (2-7) to Emilio Nava at the Monte Carlo Masters. A tribute ceremony followed on Court des Princes, attended by tournament figures including Ms. Mélanie-Antoinette de Massy and David Massey. Carlos Alcaraz, the world No. 1, watched from the stands and applauded Goffin's efforts, a gesture captured by TennisTV cameras. Goffin had confirmed last month that this would be his final season in a reflective video, stating, “This will be my last season. Join me on this journey. ” He told reporters the decision was difficult to admit, explaining how motivation and physical condition diverged. “Sometimes the motivation and the body go in opposite directions,” Goffin said. “Little by little, you realize you no longer want to do it, that the motivation is no longer at its peak.” Injuries shaped his choice, including a foot problem last May and knee issues later that year, which delayed his start this season and affected his ranking. Despite a strong comeback win over Martin Landaluce at the Swiss Open Gstaad, early exits followed in several events. Goffin emphasized tennis demands full commitment: “You can’t afford not to be at 110% in all areas, whether mentally, physically, or technically.” He plans to retire at the European Open in Brussels starting October 19, aiming to enjoy his remaining matches on home soil.

Makala yanayohusiana

Stan Wawrinka exhausted on the tennis court at Italian Open after withdrawal
Picha iliyoundwa na AI

Stan Wawrinka withdraws from Italian Open qualifying

Imeripotiwa na AI Picha iliyoundwa na AI

Stan Wawrinka pulled out of the Italian Open just minutes before his second qualifying match on May 6. The 41-year-old Swiss player cited exhaustion after a grueling first-round win the previous day. Pablo Carreno Busta advanced via walkover.

David Goffin secured a straight-sets victory in the first round of French Open qualifying on May 18 and struggled to hold back tears during his post-match interview. The 35-year-old Belgian defeated Tseng Chun-hsin 6-3, 6-1 in 73 minutes at Court Suzanne-Lenglen. The emotional moment came as the crowd gave him a standing ovation and chanted his name.

Imeripotiwa na AI

Gael Monfils, the 39-year-old Frenchman on his farewell tour, has hinted at 'something special' planned for Roland Garros. In a video posted by the French Open's official account on April 13, he urged fans to tune in on April 16 for more details. The reveal builds anticipation ahead of his final appearance at his home Grand Slam.

Nicolas Colsaerts completed his final professional round on the DP World Tour at the Soudal Open in Belgium. The former Ryder Cup player marked the occasion with an emotional walk alongside family members. He reflected on a career that began in 1998 and included multiple victories.

Imeripotiwa na AI

Frances Tiafoe has become the latest player to withdraw from the Madrid Open, joining a growing list that includes Carlos Alcaraz, Novak Djokovic and Taylor Fritz. Emma Raducanu also pulled out due to a viral illness, delaying her clay-court return. The tournament begins on April 22 amid significant absences.

Felix Auger-Aliassime advanced to the quarterfinals of the Monte Carlo Masters when Casper Ruud retired injured during their Round of 16 match. The Canadian won the first set 7-5 before Ruud stopped at 2-2 in the second set due to a calf problem. Auger-Aliassime became the first Canadian to reach the last eight of all nine ATP Masters 1000 events.

Imeripotiwa na AI

Carlos Alcaraz has opened up about the personal sacrifices of his tennis career and the importance of mental health in a new Vanity Fair interview. The world No. 2 discussed missing out on typical experiences at age 22 while recovering from injury. He also addressed the demanding tour schedule that has limited his time away from the sport.

Ijumaa, 22. Mwezi wa tano 2026, 17:13:59

Gael Monfils receives emotional tribute at Roland Garros farewell

Jumatano, 13. Mwezi wa tano 2026, 22:54:29

Gastao Elias confronts career uncertainty after calf injury

Jumanne, 21. Mwezi wa nne 2026, 17:47:37

Alcaraz expresses doubts on Roland Garros after wrist injury forces Madrid withdrawal

Ijumaa, 17. Mwezi wa nne 2026, 06:29:10

Roberto Bautista Agut to retire at end of 2026 season

Alhamisi, 9. Mwezi wa nne 2026, 08:01:43

Zverev overcomes foot injury to reach Monte Carlo quarterfinals

Jumatatu, 6. Mwezi wa nne 2026, 02:19:21

Frances Tiafoe's withdrawal eases Alcaraz's path at Monte Carlo Masters

Jumamosi, 28. Mwezi wa tatu 2026, 21:51:09

Novak Djokovic withdraws from Monte Carlo Masters

Jumapili, 8. Mwezi wa tatu 2026, 16:24:36

Rafael Nadal receives marquess title and hints at Federer exhibition

Alhamisi, 26. Mwezi wa pili 2026, 06:13:59

Mouratoglou attributes Djokovic's Grand Slam drought to motivation

Jumatano, 25. Mwezi wa pili 2026, 07:19:40

Stan Wawrinka bids farewell in Dubai after Medvedev defeat

 

 

 

Tovuti hii inatumia vidakuzi

Tunatumia vidakuzi kwa uchambuzi ili kuboresha tovuti yetu. Soma sera ya faragha yetu kwa maelezo zaidi.
Kataa