US pulls missiles from Pacific for Iran war

The Pentagon has ordered nearly its entire inventory of JASSM-ER cruise missiles moved from the Pacific and continental US to Middle East bases in late March for the war on Iran, US media reports say. This leaves just 425 units available worldwide. Analysts say the move signals supply constraints and tells Indo-Pacific allies that US priorities lie elsewhere.

Washington is pulling most long-range cruise missiles from the Pacific for redeployment to the Middle East amid its war on Iran—a move analysts say signals possible supply constraints and tells Indo-Pacific “friends and foes alike” that US priorities lie elsewhere.

According to US media reports, the Pentagon ordered nearly the entire inventory of JASSM-ER air-launched cruise missiles moved from the Pacific, and even from the continental United States, to US Central Command bases in the Middle East or Fairford base in Britain in late March. This leaves just 425 units of the Joint Air-to-Surface Stand-Off Missile – Extended Range available for deployment worldwide, out of a pre-war inventory of nearly 2,300.

The US military reportedly consumed more than 1,000 JASSM-ER armaments within a month of beginning air strikes against Iran on February 28. A further 75 or so are unserviceable because of damage or technical fault, and 47 were used during the raid against Venezuela in January.

The US$1.5 million JASSM-ER, developed by Lockheed Martin, is a long-range cruise missile launched from various military aircraft. Since the start of its war on Iran, the US has reportedly fired the missile against Iranian targets from B-52 and B-1B bombers, as well as strike fighters. An analyst said deploying US missiles to the Middle East “reinforces Beijing’s assessment that time and industrial scale favour China”.

Awọn iroyin ti o ni ibatan

U.S. Marines aboard USS Tripoli deploy to Strait of Hormuz amid Iranian shipping attacks, securing vital oil route.
Àwòrán tí AI ṣe

U.S. deploys 2,500 Marines from Japan to Strait of Hormuz amid Iran war disruptions

Ti AI ṣe iroyin Àwòrán tí AI ṣe

The United States has deployed about 2,500 Marines from the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit in Okinawa, Japan, and the amphibious assault ship USS Tripoli from Sasebo amid the war with Iran, dubbed Operation Epic Fury, which began on February 28, 2026. The move addresses Iranian attacks on shipping in the Strait of Hormuz, through which one-fifth of global oil passes, as confirmed by U.S. officials.

US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth told Estonia's defense minister on Monday that delivery of munitions for High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems would be postponed due to needs in the war with Iran. The contract for the weapons dates to 2022, with launchers already delivered last year. Estonia's minister voiced concerns about the delay's effect on deterrence.

Ti AI ṣe iroyin

The United States and Israel continued military operations against Iran on March 4, 2026, entering the fifth day of the conflict known as Operation Epic Fury. The strikes have targeted Iranian naval assets, missile capabilities, and leadership, including the killing of Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. Criticism mounts over the lack of congressional approval and evacuation plans for Americans in the region.

Amid the ongoing 2026 US-Israel-Iran conflict—sparked by the killing of Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei—Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps launched missiles carrying cluster munitions at Israel on the 17th day, damaging eight central sites and hospitalizing 142 people. Israeli media reported fragments in greater Tel Aviv.

Ti AI ṣe iroyin

US President Trump posted on Truth Social claiming Iran's navy, air force, missiles, drones and leaders decimated in a war less than two weeks old. The Financial Times reported the US expended years' worth of key munitions, including Tomahawk missiles. Trump stated the operation will last up to 5 weeks as Middle East death toll surpasses 500.

Russia has cleared the export of around 300 R-37M ultra-long-range air-to-air missiles to India in a US$1.2 billion deal, according to media reports. Malaysia-based Defence Security Asia said deliveries could begin within 12 to 18 months. The missiles can target Pakistani support planes such as surveillance and refuelling aircraft.

Ti AI ṣe iroyin

A US senator has warned that President Donald Trump's war in Iran is weakening the United States military's ability to deter China in the South China Sea. Senator Tammy Duckworth stated that such a conflict west of the Philippines could endanger over 750,000 Americans living there and disrupt one-third of global maritime trade. She argued that proper crisis planning is impossible while the US is focused on the Middle East conflict.

 

 

 

Ojú-ìwé yìí nlo kuki

A nlo kuki fun itupalẹ lati mu ilọsiwaju wa. Ka ìlànà àṣírí wa fun alaye siwaju sii.
Kọ