Ruto explains how Uganda secured 21% stake in Kenya Pipeline Company

President William Ruto has revealed details of negotiations that led Uganda to acquire a 21% stake in the Kenya Pipeline Company (KPC). Speaking during the launch of the Naivasha-Kisumu-Malaba Standard Gauge Railway in Kisumu County, he said Uganda’s President Yoweri Museveni initially demanded 50% of shares. Intense discussions prompted Ruto's personal intervention to reach a compromise.

President William Ruto spoke during the launch of the Naivasha-Kisumu-Malaba Standard Gauge Railway in Kisumu County on Saturday, March 21, 2026. He disclosed that Uganda’s President Yoweri Museveni initially demanded 50% of Kenya Pipeline Company (KPC) shares, while the Kenyan government holds 35%. Museveni argued that 40% of the pipeline’s transport volume goes to Uganda, justifying a larger stake. Ruto said weeks of negotiations required his direct intervention with Museveni, resulting in Uganda accepting 21%. He stated, “I want to thank you, Mzee. When you inquired about the pipeline, with the intention of Uganda wanting to acquire 50 per cent, I managed to talk to you, and we reached an agreement that we begin with a few stakes, which you accepted.” On March 4, Treasury Cabinet Secretary John Mbadi announced that Kenyans and local investors purchased 7.9 billion shares in the KPC Initial Public Offer (IPO). Of the 12.4 billion shares offered at Ksh9 each, Uganda, Rwanda, and other East African Community states acquired 3.8 billion shares, equivalent to 21.22%. The Kenyan government retains a 35% controlling stake, with local investors holding 67.32%. KPC, listed on the Nairobi Securities Exchange on March 10, ranks as the seventh most valuable stock with a market capitalisation of Ksh165 billion, or 4.7% of the NSE equity market.

相关文章

Kenyan petrol station with fuel queues contrasting pipeline company's assurance of sufficient stocks amid shortage reports.
AI 生成的图像

Kenya Pipeline assures sufficient fuel amid shortage reports

由 AI 报道 AI 生成的图像

The Kenya Pipeline Company has assured the public of sufficient fuel stocks at all its terminals to meet national demand, despite reports of shortages in at least 13 counties. The Kenya Transporters Association warns of a looming logistics crisis due to rationing and withdrawn credit facilities. Energy Cabinet Secretary Opiyo Wandayi has been summoned to parliament over a related fuel scandal.

Kenya's National Treasury has formally received Ksh 103.45 billion from the partial sale of Kenya Pipeline Company (KPC) shares. The Privatisation Authority of Kenya's board handed over the funds, marking a key milestone in the country's privatisation programme. Treasury Cabinet Secretary John Mbadi highlighted the government's commitment to transparency and accountability.

由 AI 报道

President William Ruto has explained why Kenyans pay higher fuel prices than neighbours like Tanzania and Uganda. He attributed the difference to Kenya's status as a middle-income country and heavy investments in road infrastructure. Ruto spoke during a church service in Karen on Sunday.

President William Ruto has signed three bills into law aimed at easing business costs and attracting investment. The measures target tax changes for companies, special economic zones, and the Konza Technopolis.

由 AI 报道

President William Ruto has assured Nyamira residents of a Ksh 300 million SGR station in Ikonge. The confirmation addresses local concerns after initial plans omitted a station despite the rail passing through the area. He spoke during a development tour in Ikonge, Nyamira County, on April 13.

Energy and Petroleum Cabinet Secretary Opiyo Wandayi has assured Kenyans that the threat of substandard fuel from the ongoing Ksh4 billion procurement scandal has been contained, with supplies secure. This follows the arrests and resignations of four senior officials last week and the halting of a second suspicious shipment. EPRA has appointed Joseph Oketch as acting Director General.

由 AI 报道

Kenya Pipeline Company manager Pius Mwenda said the firm allowed fuel with high Sulphur levels following Minister Lee Kinyanjui's directive. This occurred on March 27, 2026, and was confirmed yesterday before the Energy Committee. The fuel was blended with other stocks to reduce risks.

 

 

 

此网站使用 cookie

我们使用 cookie 进行分析以改进我们的网站。阅读我们的 隐私政策 以获取更多信息。
拒绝