South Korean officials discuss potential adjustments to U.S. joint military drills at a press conference, amid inter-Korean dialogue efforts.
South Korean officials discuss potential adjustments to U.S. joint military drills at a press conference, amid inter-Korean dialogue efforts.
በ AI የተሰራ ምስል

South Korea open to discussing U.S. joint drills adjustment

በ AI የተሰራ ምስል

South Korea's unification ministry said adjustments to joint military drills with the U.S. could be discussed if necessary conditions are met. National Security Adviser Wi Sung-lac emphasized that the exercises are not being considered as a direct card for dialogue with North Korea. This highlights differing stances amid efforts to revive inter-Korean talks.

On December 7, 2025, National Security Adviser Wi Sung-lac stated in a briefing that South Korea is not directly considering joint military exercises with the U.S. as a card for resuming dialogue with North Korea. "If we are to resume dialogue, we need to consider what cards we can use. While there are many possible options, we are not directly considering using the Korea-U.S. joint exercises as a card," Wi said. He acknowledged limited progress in inter-Korean relations but pledged continued efforts to ease tensions on the Korean Peninsula and resume talks with Pyongyang.

President Lee Jae Myung said last month that a stable peace regime making large-scale exercises unnecessary would be desirable in the long term, but decisions must depend on evolving security circumstances. He called it premature and the "most sensitive" issue for North Korea. Pyongyang has long denounced the Seoul-Washington exercises as "war rehearsals," while the allies maintain they are defensive in nature.

On December 8, unification ministry spokesperson Yoon Min-ho responded that adjustments could possibly be discussed if conditions and the environment come into place in the future. Unification Minister Chung Dong-young has advocated scaling back major drills to revive long-stalled dialogue with Pyongyang. Yoon declined to comment directly on Wi's remarks, stating only that combined South Korea-U.S. exercises have important implications not only militarily but also for inter-Korean relations and the security situation on the Korean Peninsula.

Seoul has renewed calls for dialogue after proposing military talks to clarify the Military Demarcation Line and prevent unintended clashes near the border, but Pyongyang has yet to respond. Wi told reporters that North Korea's omission from the U.S.'s recent National Security Strategy does not indicate indifference but stems from its "America First" focus. The U.S. released the document last Friday without mentioning North Korea, a departure from past versions.

ሰዎች ምን እያሉ ነው

Initial reactions on X to South Korea's openness to discussing U.S. joint military drills adjustments amid inter-Korean talks efforts are mostly neutral reports from news outlets quoting National Security Adviser Wi Sung-lac that drills are not leverage for dialogue. Limited opinions include skepticism on peace talks prospects and criticism of South Korea's U.S. alliance reliance over negotiation with North Korea.

ተያያዥ ጽሁፎች

North Korea fires missile eastward during South Korea-US joint military drills, dramatic dawn launch with jets and ships visible.
በ AI የተሰራ ምስል

North Korea fires projectile during South Korea-US joint drills

በAI የተዘገበ በ AI የተሰራ ምስል

North Korea fired at least one unidentified projectile eastward on Saturday, according to the Joint Chiefs of Staff. The launch occurred as South Korea and the United States conducted their key springtime military exercise. Pyongyang has long criticized the allies' drills as preparations for an invasion.

North Korean leader Kim Jong-un signaled openness to improving ties with the United States if it drops its hostile policy, during the Ninth Congress of the Workers' Party of Korea, but rejected dialogue with South Korea, declaring permanent hostility. This came amid warnings of 'terrible retaliatory attacks' at a military parade marking the congress's close. South Korea expressed regret but vowed to pursue peaceful coexistence.

በAI የተዘገበ

The South Korean and U.S. militaries have postponed announcing a date for their major springtime Freedom Shield exercise due to differences over the scale of on-field drills. The U.S. expressed reluctance to South Korea's proposal to minimize field training, citing already arrived troops and equipment. The two sides plan to announce the exercise later this month or early March.

President Lee Jae-myung said on Friday that South Korea will swiftly retake wartime operational control from the United States and accelerate military reforms including selective conscription. Speaking at a meeting with top military leaders in Seoul, he urged forces to heighten readiness amid a 'grave' security situation involving a prolonged Middle East war and North Korea's border fortifications in the DMZ. He stressed self-reliant defense while maintaining the Korea-U.S. alliance.

ይህ ድረ-ገጽ ኩኪዎችን ይጠቀማል

የእኛን ጣቢያ ለማሻሻል ለትንታኔ ኩኪዎችን እንጠቀማለን። የእኛን የሚስጥር ፖሊሲ አንብቡ የሚስጥር ፖሊሲ ለተጨማሪ መረጃ።
ውድቅ አድርግ