Six schools remain closed in Western Cape after storm damage

The Western Cape Department of Education says six schools remain closed in the Eden and Central Karoo districts due to damage from recent storms. Western Cape Education MEC David Maynier reported that 64 schools have significant infrastructure damage and the department is concerned about the financial implications.

Recent storms brought flooding and destructive winds that affected parts of the Western Cape. Six schools in the Eden and Central Karoo District stay closed mainly because roads around them were washed away or damaged, limiting access for students and staff.

Maynier explained the situation in a statement. "The storm has, of course, been devastating. We currently have six schools that are closed – those schools are in the Eden and Central Karoo District. Thankfully, we have managed to open all schools in the Cape Winelands District," he said.

Schools in the affected areas lost up to 13 days of learning. The department is working with districts to provide catch-up programs such as extra classes, online streaming or alternative venues so learners are not disadvantaged.

مقالات ذات صلة

Flooded informal settlement in Western Cape during severe storms with high winds and rain.
صورة مولدة بواسطة الذكاء الاصطناعي

Severe storms hit Western Cape, causing deaths and flooding

من إعداد الذكاء الاصطناعي صورة مولدة بواسطة الذكاء الاصطناعي

Heavy rains and gale-force winds from two cold fronts battered the Western Cape on Monday, leading to at least one confirmed death, widespread flooding in informal settlements, school closures, and disruptions to power and transport.

The Western Cape Education Department has confirmed that all schools in the Cape Winelands District have reopened following closures caused by severe weather last week.

من إعداد الذكاء الاصطناعي

Education authorities in the Western Cape and Eastern Cape have closed schools in high-risk areas on Wednesday and Thursday due to an intense low-pressure system bringing life-threatening floods and snow. The South African Weather Service issued multiple Orange-level warnings for disruptive rain, thunderstorms and damaging winds. Officials prioritised pupil safety as conditions are forecast to ease only from Friday.

Disaster management teams in parts of KwaZulu-Natal are on high alert following an escalation of weather warnings by the South African Weather Service. Orange Level 6 warnings now apply to Ugu, Zululand, King Cetshwayo and Umkhanyakude districts, indicating a high chance of significant damage. A cold front and cut-off low are expected to bring heavy rain and damaging winds.

من إعداد الذكاء الاصطناعي

The South African Weather Service (SAWS) warns of cold, wet and very windy conditions in parts of the Western Cape from Sunday morning. Forecaster Langutelani Mathebula says rough sea conditions are expected between Saldanha Bay and Plettenberg Bay.

يستخدم هذا الموقع ملفات تعريف الارتباط

نستخدم ملفات تعريف الارتباط للتحليلات لتحسين موقعنا. اقرأ سياسة الخصوصية الخاصة بنا سياسة الخصوصية لمزيد من المعلومات.
رفض