Palace: Philippine interests protected in oil exploration talks with China

Malacañang assured Filipinos that the country's rights in the West Philippine Sea will be safeguarded, as Manila and Beijing began 'initial exchanges' on potential offshore oil and gas exploration.

MANILA — Presidential Communications Office Undersecretary Claire Castro said the Marcos administration will remain sincere in discussions while cautiously protecting the nation's and every Filipino's interests.

"No (Philippine) interests will be lost, and none will be given away," she emphasized in Filipino.

The Philippines and China held the 24th Foreign Ministry Consultations and the 11th Meeting of the Bilateral Consultation Mechanism on the South China Sea on March 27 and 28 in Quanzhou City, Fujian province, China. The Department of Foreign Affairs noted talks on stable access to energy and fertilizers, potential cooperation in green and renewable energy, trade, and agriculture.

Both sides progressed on practical measures consistent with Philippine law, including coast guard communications, ocean meteorology, and initial exchanges on oil and gas cooperation.

In a Bloomberg interview, President Marcos suggested the US and Israeli war against Iran could provide an “impetus” for a deal on jointly developing resources in the West Philippine Sea. The Chinese embassy in Manila stated its “door to dialogue” remains open if the Philippines demonstrates sincerity. Marcos declared a state of national energy emergency last week.

Related Articles

Following bilateral meetings in Quanzhou on March 27-28, the Philippines and China advanced practical measures in the South China Sea, including initial exchanges on oil and gas exploration, amid efforts to manage disputes and boost confidence-building. The talks, previewed amid global energy concerns, pave the way for higher-level discussions later this year.

Reported by AI

China and the Philippines resumed high-level dialogue on Saturday in Quanzhou, Fujian province, through the 11th meeting of the South China Sea bilateral consultation mechanism and the 24th round of China-Philippines Foreign Ministry Consultations. Vice-Foreign Minister Sun Weidong and Philippine Foreign Affairs Undersecretary for Policy Leo M. Herrera-Lim co-chaired the talks, with Beijing urging Manila to match words with actions.

Leaders at the 48th ASEAN Summit in Cebu agreed to advance a shared power grid and a regional maritime center, though details remain pending, Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. said on May 8.

Reported by AI

The Philippines is calling on more Chinese travelers to visit its islands and experience its culture, even as disagreements persist over the West Philippine Sea. Officials promoted tourism ties during a business mission in Beijing.

 

 

 

This website uses cookies

We use cookies for analytics to improve our site. Read our privacy policy for more information.
Decline