DBCC set to submit fuel tax recommendations to Marcos today

Economic managers are set to meet today to submit proposals to President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. addressing soaring oil prices from the Middle East war. Presidential Communications Undersecretary Claire Castro said the Development Budget Coordination Committee discussed measures including fuel excise taxes. The UPLIFT committee meeting is also scheduled.

The Development Budget Coordination Committee met last week to assess rising global oil prices' implications and evaluate responses, including fuel excise tax measures, Castro said at a Monday press briefing.

"They formulated their recommendation and they will have a meeting tomorrow (April 7) with the President to submit their recommendation for his approval," Castro stated. Marcos previously said "nothing is off the table" for easing Middle East war effects.

Today, Marcos will convene the UPLIFT committee—Unified Package for Livelihoods, Industry, Food and Transport—with energy, transportation, social welfare, agriculture, finance, NEDA, and budget secretaries. Discussions include DFA talks with Iran on safe passage for Philippine-bound tankers through the Strait of Hormuz.

Iran negotiations will not strain US ties, Castro noted, citing a Philippine oil deal with Russia. Marina spokesman Lui delos Santos said 16 private tankers are available, depending on importers. Fuel purchase limits and the Bayanihan 3 bill are also under review.

Meanwhile, Senate President Vicente Sotto III plans a meeting to revive joint oil and gas exploration with China in the West Philippine Sea, pitched earlier to former President Rodrigo Duterte.

Relaterede artikler

Philippine lawmakers approving bill for President Marcos' fuel tax powers amid Middle East oil crisis.
Billede genereret af AI

House approves bill granting Marcos special powers on fuel excise tax

Rapporteret af AI Billede genereret af AI

The House of Representatives has approved a bill on second reading granting President Marcos special powers to suspend or reduce excise taxes on fuel to cushion the impact of soaring oil prices due to the Middle East conflict. This measure is part of broader government efforts to protect Filipinos from potential increases in commodity prices. Meanwhile, the Department of Transportation is studying a possible fare hike for public transport.

The House Committee on Ways and Means has approved a substitute bill empowering President Bongbong Marcos to suspend or reduce excise taxes on petroleum products amid surging fuel prices due to the escalating Middle East conflict.

Rapporteret af AI

President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. declared a 'state of national energy emergency' on Tuesday, March 24, due to the impact of the US-Israel war against Iran on the Philippines' oil supply. Through Executive Order No. 110, he also adopted UPLIFT to mitigate effects on the economy and citizens. It remains in place for one year unless altered by Marcos.

President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. urged Southeast Asian nations to activate and test their fuel-sharing pact, citing vulnerabilities exposed by the Middle East conflict for import-dependent economies. The Department of Energy said another round of fuel rollbacks remains possible next week, though officials cautioned against assuming the downtrend will hold amid global oil market volatility. DOE also ordered fuel firms to report storage capacities to prepare for disruptions.

Rapporteret af AI

Following initial DOE warnings earlier this week, local oil retailers in the Philippines will implement double-digit fuel price increases of P17 to P24 per liter starting March 10, amid ongoing Middle East tensions. President Marcos plans to seek emergency powers to cut excise taxes.

Malacañang has acknowledged the efforts of local government units and the private sector to mitigate the effects of the Middle East crisis, particularly on vulnerable groups. Executive Secretary Ralph Recto highlighted initiatives like boosting fuel supplies and providing free transportation. He described these as a synergy ensuring the nation's energy security amid external pressures.

Rapporteret af AI

The Department of Budget and Management has identified P238 billion in funding to support the government's response to the ongoing global oil crisis, under President Marcos's directive. DBM Secretary Rolando Toledo shared this during a House committee on ways and means hearing on April 8. It comes alongside a mandated 20 percent cut in non-essential government spending.

 

 

 

Dette websted bruger cookies

Vi bruger cookies til analyse for at forbedre vores side. Læs vores privatlivspolitik for mere information.
Afvis