Marcos orders government offices to reduce power and fuel use

President Ferdinand Marcos has directed all government agencies to strictly implement cuts in power and fuel use amid rising oil prices from the Middle East conflict. Executive Secretary Ralph Recto emphasized that compliance is mandatory across the bureaucracy. Inspections have already covered over 1,000 offices.

President Marcos issued Memorandum Circular 114 earlier this month, mandating energy conservation measures such as adjusting air-conditioning, reducing non-essential lighting, and grounding most government vehicles except those for public safety and health.

"The policy underscores the President’s message that public officials must set the example, demonstrating restraint and accountability as the nation weathers the energy crisis," Recto said in a statement from the Presidential Communications Office.

Inspections by energy monitors began in the first week, targeting air-conditioning, lighting, and equipment in over 1,000 offices. The measures also include a four-day workweek in some executive offices since March 9 and scaled-back preparations for hosting ASEAN summits.

In an online briefing late Monday, Energy Secretary Sharon Garin reported fuel inventories lasting 50.94 days as of March 27, up from 45.10 days on March 20. The government has secured 1.042 million barrels of diesel, with shipments from Japan already arriving and more from Malaysia, Singapore, India, and Oman due in April. "We have a supply," Garin said, urging the public to be prudent amid the ongoing Middle East war.

Relaterede artikler

President Marcos signs executive order declaring national energy emergency amid global oil crisis from Middle East war.
Billede genereret af AI

Marcos declares state of national energy emergency

Rapporteret af AI Billede genereret af AI

President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. declared a 'state of national energy emergency' on Tuesday, March 24, due to the impact of the US-Israel war against Iran on the Philippines' oil supply. Through Executive Order No. 110, he also adopted UPLIFT to mitigate effects on the economy and citizens. It remains in place for one year unless altered by Marcos.

Malacañang has acknowledged the efforts of local government units and the private sector to mitigate the effects of the Middle East crisis, particularly on vulnerable groups. Executive Secretary Ralph Recto highlighted initiatives like boosting fuel supplies and providing free transportation. He described these as a synergy ensuring the nation's energy security amid external pressures.

Rapporteret af AI

President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. announced that starting March 9, some executive offices will implement a four-day workweek due to rising oil prices from the Middle East crisis. Measures include reducing energy and petroleum use, while coordination continues for aid to Filipinos. Business groups are open to similar arrangements but express concerns for certain sectors.

The House Committee on Ways and Means has approved a substitute bill empowering President Bongbong Marcos to suspend or reduce excise taxes on petroleum products amid surging fuel prices due to the escalating Middle East conflict.

Rapporteret af AI

In response to ongoing fuel price volatility from Middle East tensions and global oil surges, President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. issued Executive Order No. 114 on April 16, 2026, suspending excise taxes on liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) and kerosene for three months to ease burdens on Filipino households, following economic managers' defense of targeted relief.

Following initial DOE warnings earlier this week, local oil retailers in the Philippines will implement double-digit fuel price increases of P17 to P24 per liter starting March 10, amid ongoing Middle East tensions. President Marcos plans to seek emergency powers to cut excise taxes.

Rapporteret af AI

The Department of Budget and Management has identified P238 billion in funding to support the government's response to the ongoing global oil crisis, under President Marcos's directive. DBM Secretary Rolando Toledo shared this during a House committee on ways and means hearing on April 8. It comes alongside a mandated 20 percent cut in non-essential government spending.

 

 

 

Dette websted bruger cookies

Vi bruger cookies til analyse for at forbedre vores side. Læs vores privatlivspolitik for mere information.
Afvis