De Lima urges Comelec to refer Marcoleta SOCE case to Ombudsman, NBI

House senior deputy minority leader and ML party-list Rep. Leila de Lima said the Commission on Elections should have referred Sen. Rodante Marcoleta’s statement of contributions and expenditures case to the National Bureau of Investigation and Office of the Ombudsman. She noted Comelec absolved him because the offense under Section 109 of the Omnibus Election Code was decriminalized by Republic Act 7166. Still, she said perjury and graft charges could apply.

In a statement, De Lima said Comelec should not have stopped at absolving Sen. Rodante Marcoleta. It should refer its findings to the NBI and Ombudsman for probe into possible perjury and graft charges. “The Comelec absolved Sen. Marcoleta of the election offense of violating Section 109 of the Omnibus Election Code on the filing of SOCEs because the offense was already decriminalized under Republic Act 7166,” De Lima said. She added Marcoleta should not have been cleared outright. “He should not have been cleared just like that. There are other possible crimes he may have committed for allegedly failing to disclose election donations in his SOCE,” she said in Filipino. “It is only proper for the Comelec to coordinate with and submit the results of its investigation to other agencies to determine whether other laws were violated aside from the Election Code,” she continued. The statement was issued in Manila, Philippines.

Liittyvät artikkelit

House Justice Committee votes 54-1 to advance impeachment complaints against VP Sara Duterte, gavel striking amid documents and vote tally.
AI:n luoma kuva

House Justice Committee finds Sara Duterte impeachment complaints sufficient in substance

Raportoinut AI AI:n luoma kuva

The House Committee on Justice ruled on March 4, 2026, that the two impeachment complaints against Vice President Sara Duterte—filed in early February and transmitted to the Speaker's office—are sufficient in substance, voting 54-1 to advance proceedings. Duterte has 10 days to respond. Separately, she filed a perjury complaint against former intelligence officer Ramil Madriaga, whose affidavit supported the complaints.

A complaint referred by the Office of the Ombudsman has caused a slight complication in the Commission on Elections' handling of issues involving Sen. Rodante Marcoleta’s Statement of Contributions and Expenditures. Comelec Chairman George Garcia said the poll body’s Political Finance and Affairs Department has completed its fact-finding probe and is preparing a recommendation. However, a separate complaint has raised procedural questions on case handling.

Raportoinut AI

In the resolution of its probe into Sen. Rodante Marcoleta's undisclosed P75 million Senate campaign donations—previously complicated by a SALN complaint—election lawyer Romulo Macalintal criticized the Commission on Elections' decision to clear the senator. The poll body found no evidence to charge him due to repealed disclosure rules and recommended complaints against his donors instead.

The House committee on justice issued multiple subpoenas on Wednesday in connection with impeachment complaints against Vice President Sara Duterte, seeking her statements of assets, tax records and other documents from 2007 to 2025. The panel summoned key witnesses and records from agencies like the Ombudsman, BIR, SEC and NBI. Duterte did not attend the hearing.

Raportoinut AI

Lawmakers hit back at a Supreme Court petition by Vice President Sara Duterte's allies seeking to block her ongoing impeachment proceedings in the House of Representatives. The move comes after the House justice committee advanced two complaints to hearings.

Ombudsman Jesus Crispin Remulla insisted he will not inhibit from the probe linking former House Speaker Martin Romualdez to the flood control scandal. He confirmed a Court of Appeals freeze order on Romualdez's assets and warned of more cases to come. Hold departure orders were also sought against former Senate President Francis Escudero and businessman Maynard Ngu.

Raportoinut AI

A Senate ethics complaint against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, seeking a “no work, no pay” sanction for his prolonged absences amid an ICC arrest warrant, is set for dismissal, as the penalty is not in Senate rules, ethics committee chair Sen. JV Ejercito said.

 

 

 

Tämä verkkosivusto käyttää evästeitä

Käytämme evästeitä analyysiä varten parantaaksemme sivustoamme. Lue tietosuojakäytäntömme tietosuojakäytäntö lisätietoja varten.
Hylkää