Nelson Mandela Bay mayor survives no-confidence motions

Nelson Mandela Bay Mayor Babalwa Lobishe survived two no-confidence motions tabled in a council meeting on Tuesday. The motions, brought by Freedom Front Plus and ACDP councillors, failed due to insufficient votes. The council also resolved to form an ad hoc committee to probe her office's responsiveness.

Nelson Mandela Bay councillors voted down two no-confidence motions against Mayor Babalwa Lobishe during Tuesday's council meeting. The motions were tabled by Freedom Front Plus Councillor Bill Harington and ACDP Councillor Lance Grootboom, citing service delivery failures including collapsed electricity pylons and an irregular R25-million transformer lease to Coega Steels. ACDP's Grootboom said the motions aimed to test opposition unity and address the city's poor financial position, with a cost coverage ratio of one month and 22 days.

Several DA councillors were absent, and most EFF members voted against the motions, leading to their failure. Good party councillor Lawrence Troon accused the DA of sabotaging the votes by staying away, claiming it could have secured up to 58 votes in favour. DA councillor Gustav Rautenbach dismissed the claims, stating they followed due process for absences.

The ANC’s Provincial Integrity Commission cleared Lobishe of wrongdoing in the transformer lease, finding no evidence she broke laws or benefited. She told the commission the lease saved jobs at Coega Steels. The council was later informed the agreement was unlawful.

Separately, scrutiny arose over a R88,029.64 trip to Cape Town on 16 March for a parliamentary Cogta committee meeting that had been postponed, due to a missed email notice sent on 13 March. The delegation, including Lobishe, incurred costs like R20,504.94 for her travel. Cogta chair Zweli Mkhize called it a mark of disorganisation.

The council resolved to establish an ad hoc committee from ANC, DA, ACDP and EFF to investigate the mayor’s office non-responsiveness within 14 days. Lobishe welcomed oversight but criticised the parliamentary session as unfair, refusing to apologise. DA councillor Siyasanga Sijadu called for her resignation.

Mga Kaugnay na Artikulo

Illustration depicting ActionSA suspending Tshwane MMC Kholofelo Morodi outside city hall amid allegations of sharing tender documents, emphasizing accountability.
Larawang ginawa ng AI

ActionSA suspends Tshwane MMC Kholofelo Morodi

Iniulat ng AI Larawang ginawa ng AI

ActionSA has suspended City of Tshwane councillor and Corporate and Shared Services MMC Kholofelo Morodi as a party member pending a preliminary investigation into Madlanga Commission allegations. Tshwane Mayor Nasiphi Moya earlier placed her on special leave after evidence allegedly showed her sharing internal land lease tender documents with police sergeant Fannie Nkosi. The moves aim to uphold transparency and accountability.

Two opposition parties in Nelson Mandela Bay have submitted no-confidence motions against Mayor Babalwa Lobishe, citing failures in electricity and water infrastructure management. The motions highlight repeated pylon collapses and controversial transformer leasing amid ongoing service disruptions. The mayor dismissed the challenge as expected from critics.

Iniulat ng AI

Nelson Mandela Bay mayor Babalwa Lobishe has accused fellow ANC members of plotting to undermine her leadership, amid an escalating scandal over a controversial R25-million transformer lease and probes into her bank deposits. This follows opposition accusations and a court ruling allowing critics to continue, with provincial ANC leaders warning that internal rifts threaten service delivery before local elections. The party has tasked its integrity commission with investigating.

The Nelson Mandela Bay metro has not allocated budget for repairing rusted electricity pylons despite warnings that they have exceeded their design life. This inaction raises fears of another blackout that could severely impact the local economy. Political figures are urging immediate action to prevent further disruptions.

Iniulat ng AI

Ekurhuleni Mayor Nkosindiphile Xhakaza's late-night reshuffle of his Mayoral Committee has led to the EFF withdrawing from the coalition, creating uncertainty in the city's governance. The move, which expanded ANC positions and reduced the EFF's roles, was rejected by both the EFF and ActionSA. This leaves the ANC-led coalition without a majority in the 224-seat council.

The African National Congress in Limpopo has removed two mayors from their positions in the Vhembe and Tzaneen districts.

Iniulat ng AI

Transmission pylons in Nelson Mandela Bay have collapsed again, leaving parts of the metro without power for up to three weeks. The city budgeted R11.9-million for repairs this financial year, short of the R35-million needed. Businesses report significant losses from the outages.

 

 

 

Gumagamit ng cookies ang website na ito

Gumagamit kami ng cookies para sa analytics upang mapabuti ang aming site. Basahin ang aming patakaran sa privacy para sa higit pang impormasyon.
Tanggihan