Hong Kong labour chief rules out smoking areas at construction sites

Hong Kong's Commissioner for Labour Sam Hui Chark-shum told lawmakers that a proposed ban on smoking at construction sites will cover all areas without designated smoking zones due to enforcement challenges. The measure follows the deadly Tai Po fire last November. Authorities plan to use drones with heat sensors for inspections.

Hong Kong labour authorities on Monday presented a proposal to the Legislative Council's manpower panel for a comprehensive smoking ban at all construction sites. Commissioner for Labour Sam Hui Chark-shum said the new rules would replace existing restrictions limited to specific locations.

Mr Hui explained that designated smoking areas were ruled out to avoid creating "operational grey areas" for inspectors and due to enforcement difficulties. "We believe that setting up smoking areas at construction sites would actually complicate everyone's work," he said.

The proposal comes in the wake of the deadly fire at Wang Fuk Court in Tai Po last November, which killed 168 people. An evidential hearing earlier this month indicated the blaze was "most likely" caused by someone lighting a cigarette that ignited flammable materials stacked in a lightwell.

Authorities also pledged to deploy drones equipped with heat sensors to bolster inspections at sites.

Articles connexes

Hong Kong residents navigate fire-damaged ruins of Wang Fuk Court to retrieve cherished family items before farewell.
Image générée par IA

Wang Fuk Court residents climb ruins to retrieve family treasures, bid farewell

Rapporté par l'IA Image générée par IA

Residents of Hong Kong's Wang Fuk Court have returned to the fire-ravaged ruins in recent days, climbing stairs to retrieve jewellery, cash, photo albums and keepsakes before bidding farewell to their homes. The fire services chief acknowledged at a hearing that departments need better communication while insisting on clear divisions of responsibility. The blaze killed 168 people.

Hong Kong authorities have ramped up publicity with mainland Chinese media ahead of a ban on possessing alternative smoking products, including e-cigarettes, in public places starting April 30. Director of Health Ronald Lam Man-kin reported over 11,000 inspections and about 2,200 fixed penalty notices of HK$3,000 this year. Officials anticipate minimal impact on tourists during the Labour Day golden week.

Rapporté par l'IA

Hong Kong's inquiry into the deadly Tai Po fire at Wang Fuk Court heard that the temporary removal of fireproof windows complied with regulations. Panel chairman Mr Justice David Lok Kai-hong questioned whether existing rules fairly balance workers' welfare and residents' safety. The inferno, which lasted 43 hours starting November 26 last year, killed 168 people in the deadliest blaze since 1948.

An inquiry heard that a fire services company conducted no on-site checks and merely rubber-stamped 85 shutdown notices for a housing estate's hose reel system before Hong Kong's deadliest blaze in decades. A Fire Services Department official testified that another contractor failed to alert authorities after finding the estate's fire water tanks drained and power switches for hose reels and alarms turned off. The revelations emerged at the ninth hearing into the November fire in Tai Po that killed 168 people.

Rapporté par l'IA

In the latest session of Hong Kong's inquiry into the deadly Wang Fuk Court fire—which killed 168 and displaced nearly 5,000—Urban Renewal Authority officials admitted their tendering system cannot prevent market manipulation or bid-rigging in estate renovations, citing limited resources and a policy of non-interference in homeowners' choices.

Ce site utilise des cookies

Nous utilisons des cookies pour l'analyse afin d'améliorer notre site. Lisez notre politique de confidentialité pour plus d'informations.
Refuser